Are engineers solving problems or just creating new ones?

I really wonder if engineers are solving the problems are just are in the continuous process of creating new ones? Of course, the curious human mind is advancing the technology; but with every new technology, I believe engineers are inventing new problems to solve. What do you think?

PS: I think the topic is very easy and can be looked from many angles. Do share your thoughts.

Replies

• Shuvam
    Shuvam
    To answer you in very simple words... With every good thing there follows a shadow..!
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I really wonder if engineers are solving the problems
    That is the real problem.
    Engineers are supposedly creators. Problem solving is secondary and ad hoc. Unfortunately creativity takes a back seat these days. Creativity is neither taught nor encouraged in many places.
    On the other hand problem solving is given prominence.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Version 1 created by engineer is always useful, version 1.1 and 1.2 is better and quite useful but as time grows and new version come then it becomes problem.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I guess the adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" doesn't apply these days 😛
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    quote-Scott-Adams-engineers-like-to-solve-problems-if-there-7725
    Likewise,
    If it doesn't have any problem, it not good enough.
  • Vignesh Ananth
    Vignesh Ananth
    Yeah... it's true.... engineers are solving as well as creating problems. If there isn't any problem then there is no innovations or thinking...
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ash
    I guess the adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" doesn't apply these days 😛
    I guess it never worked that way. I'm pretty darn sure that our forefathers were pretty happy people living in the caves. Then someone said, hey look I can create fire just by rubbing stones. And then...
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I guess it never worked that way. I'm pretty darn sure that our forefathers were pretty happy people living in the caves. Then someone said, hey look I can create fire just by rubbing stones. And then...
    Interesting line of thought. Was the action to rub the stones due to boredom? or was it through observation of another event (like someone accidentally rubbing the stones, or stones fell on each other after a rock fall or wind)?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ash
    Was the action to rub the stones due to boredom? or was it through observation of another event (like someone accidentally rubbing the stones, or stones fell on each other after a rock fall or wind)?
    I bet it was boredom. But how'd we know?

All I mean until the last century, the mankind survived without telephones, TVs, WhatsApp and did pretty okay, right?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I disagree.. Mankind did OK.
    Technology advancement always helped in saving in disaster time and learning.

It's other thing that we get irritated when we see people abusing technology and wasting it.
  • Vignesh Ananth
    Vignesh Ananth
    ash
    Interesting line of thought. Was the action to rub the stones due to boredom? or was it through observation of another event (like someone accidentally rubbing the stones, or stones fell on each other after a rock fall or wind)?
    It's not boredom. Why won't we consider it as our forefathers intelligence?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Ritabrata Bhaumik (Rito) hails from Kolkata, West Bengal. Rito's mother is a home-maker and his father was an entrepreneur. He had setup a factory of manufacturing printing inks in Kolkata....
A team of scientists and researchers from about 14 leading academic institutions across Europe has published report on project EuTRACE (European Transdisciplinary Assessment of Climate Engineering). It warns that geo-engineering...
any project ideas regrading this topic??? For final year project....
One of the reasons that Samsung is on top of Android-smartphone market is that they realize that the shelf life of a new handset is very less today and hence...
As Microsoft engineering team prepares to launch the next big version of Windows (10), the company's winking at Google. Microsoft's Gabe Aul has published a post on official Windows blog...