Are Child Prodigies being treated the right way?

I was reading a few articles about Child Prodigies and was quiet startled to know what all they have to go through. 😔
Instead of enjoying the joys of their childhood, they undergo immense pressure at such an young age; and in most cases the pressure is from their parents who want to their child to excel at any cost and ASAP.

I read this in an article,
The parents of a seven-year-old science prodigy have begun a world-wide search for a university place for their child, with the warning that “a great mind could be lost” if he is not offered the chance to pursue his studies at degree level.
😨
Is this behavior of the parents justified: Denying the true nature of their own children, whisking them from one state to another, one interview to another; being under constant watch by the Press?!

[EDITED]
Or is it the right thing to do so that the society does not lose a Genius in the making; and deprive the child of his childhood?

I also read that child prodigies are discouraging people, especially for the adults. For example, a person of 35 years who has published a book feels underachieved if he/she finds out about some child who has published a similar book. The concept is like achieving something important at a young age is more impressive than achieving something important as an adult.
Do you think the child prodigies are discouraging people?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Certainly not. If it is a prodigy it will bloom on its own at the appropriate time.The parent's duty is not to stifle it. If anything they should let the child develop overall abilities. Their business is to ensure that the child gets proper nourishment both physical and psychological.
    Never compare. Every child is a genius in some way.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    @Ramani Sir, I completely agree with you. Thanks for sharing the link. 😀
    PS: I edited my first post.

Dancer_Engineer
    Do you think the child prodigies are discouraging people?
    For me, child prodigies are not discouraging people. Whenever I read / hear about any child prodigy, I'm completely surprised by the intelligence and bravery of a child. It inspires me.
    As far as failure / success / achievement is concerned, I think these should be treated individually and not compared with anyone. Everybody has their fair share of failure and success, comparing it with others is like underestimating / overestimating oneself. Never do that!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I've always been fascinated by those awesomely powerful core routers, especially the mammoth CRS-3 with switching capacity exceeding 300 Tb/s!😲 But after reading this article on Lightreading [link] on how...
CEans, We're looking for hardcore PHP coders who eat, drink, sleep PHP and have proven abilities. There are no restrictions. We've interesting projects and need skilled PHP professionals to work...
Hey guys... It happened to hear that, a heat treated component made up of steel(Medium carbon steel for instance) will have a different composition in the core and circumference... It...
Update: The Contest Is Over.​ CEan, I'm sure all of you must have noticed our teasers. We're sure that the curiosity is already building up everywhere. Everyone's guessing! Here's a...
I HAVE DOWNLOADED IDM (INTERNET DOWNLOAD MANAGER) TRAIL VERSION,IT IS EXPIRED NOW.EVEN IF I AM TRYING TO DOWNLOAD OTHER DOWNLOADER MANAGERS I AM NOT ABLE TO DOWNLOAD, SO I AM...