[Arduino] Simple telemetry sensor project discussion

[updated 30/7/2013]

Hi CEans,

Since my short break from work is looming soon, I thought I'd just share some plans I have in mind. I hope throughout this process we can all discuss and share ideas whilst I fabricate it ๐Ÿ˜€

Primary objectives
To detect rainfall and light intensity, sound alarm, record rainfall data and send data wirelessly to the computer. A simple GUI will be used to store data and plot graph

These objectives would cover the basics of:
- Reading from a sensor with Arduino
- Activating alarm/buzzer
- Interfacing the Arduino with Wifi shield
- GUI to obtain telemetry data (in the form of IP packets) from Arduino
- Store data in a simple flat file database & plot on graph (probably will use the Gambas programming language). Or any of you can contribute if you wish ๐Ÿ˜‰

The data flow will be like this. I will upload a proper diagram later.
[Sensor] -> [Arduino] -> [Wifi shield] -> [Wifi router] -> [Computer]

Secondary objectives
Once primary objectives have met, we can easily extend functionality of the project to the below:
- Add other sensors such as light intensity, temperature, pressure & humidity. (Light intensity to use for future P.V projects)
- Interface with motors (e.g to close a rain cover for clothes lines when it starts to rain)
- Upload data from Arduino and/or GUI to Internet servers (e.g via FTP)
- Interface Arduino with GSM board to send telemetry data via SMS

RF vs Wifi
I initially thought of using simple RF transceivers to transmit data to the PC. However, I feel Wifi (IP in general) is more versatile to use.

Feel free to post any ideas or suggestions. I am to make this project simple from the start, but with added functionality as we go on.

Lets get started! ๐Ÿ‘

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    I was just planning for such small but interesting projects on CE-Labs. And you started it. I am all IN for this project.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Harshad Italiya
    I was just planning for such small but interesting projects on CE-Labs. And you started it. I am all IN for this project.
    Yes, starting small is key. Especially when we already have the main tools. I think that's where CE Bot kind of got stagnant cause no one really had the equipment at the time ๐Ÿ˜›

What other ideas do you have? Feel free to start your threads as well!

Tagging #-Link-Snipped-#
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Hi Guys, A disclaimer before I start taking part again. Due to time constraints and for the sake of science I will not partake in any small talk. So straight to the point ๐Ÿ˜‰

1. There are companies which already have these devices. It will be worthwhile to work on this if the cost can significantly come down compared to these:

#-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#

2. The dashboard idea is good as it will give data in digestible form. Imagine #-Link-Snipped-#

3. Error Can CDAC start using this system?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I plan to use a stripboard as a rain sensor. Costs would certainly be low and reliability suspect, but commercialization is not a priority at this time ๐Ÿ˜›

This project is more for knowledge sharing on how to use the Arduino for different applications, and hopefully some added interests in discussions and participation from CEans.

Connecting to the cloud does have its potential uses. I was hoping in the future to have CE as a host for data collection from different CEan projects around the world.
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Ohk yes, makes sense for a learning project because strip-board will not be commercially viable ๐Ÿ˜€

Good for learning.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    For proof of concept I agree with #-Link-Snipped-#. We can start with stripboard.
    Which Arduino board you own #-Link-Snipped-#?

Tagging #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Harshad Italiya
    For proof of concept I agree with #-Link-Snipped-#. We can start with stripboard.
    Which Arduino board you own #-Link-Snipped-#?

Tagging #-Link-Snipped-#
    I have an Iteaduino (Duemilanove clone) -> #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I am obviously in for this project.I don't have Wifi shield,I gotta buy that.

But, let convert this project into reality now, No more mere ideas!, we will include the addons later once we are successful in our primary task.
    Why don't we simply start it ? But, how we gonna discuss about our progress ? Here?

Off-topic : Is there any good editor supporting .ino files for arduino. I hate Arduino IDE. If there any, please link me. (Should have Linux support, running editor using wine is lame! )
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    If we can achieve same via RF then it would be great as Wi-Fi shield is costly as compare to RF.
    Wi-Fi have short range if we compare it with SubGhz RF.

I don't have Arduino board but I will try to help with circuit designing and firmware.

What's your take on this #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# ?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    I have just checked about the price comparison between use of Wi-Fi and RF.
    Arduino Wi-Fi Shield - DEV-11287 - SparkFun Electronics is around 90USD
    SparkFun RFM22 Shield - 434MHz - DEV-11018 - SparkFun Electronics is around 30USD

Another cheaper alternative is using 434Mhz RF Link Transmitter - 434MHz - WRL-10534 - SparkFun Electronics and RF Link Receiver - 4800bps (434MHz) - WRL-10532 - SparkFun Electronics it's cost is around 3.95+4.95 = 8.9USD

So Now I think we have to finalize few things to start this project.
    1. Power-supply for device.
    2. Core Hardware part. It may Arduino or any custom board. (Sesor side)
    3. Receiver Hardware which is going to be connected with PC.
    4. Rain sensor. How we will design it and how we do measurement.
    5. GUI (PC side application is not my cup of tea. #-Link-Snipped-# It's all upto you or It would be great if any CS CEan wants to join in)
    PS:- All these price are sparkfun price you may get it at lower price at local shop.
  • lal
    lal
    The rain sensor is supposed to measure the amount of rainfall too. Right?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    lal
    The rain sensor is supposed to measure the amount of rainfall too. Right?
    Yes, I think so but #-Link-Snipped-# please confirm about this and also share your idea on how can we measure the amount of rainfall by using stripboard?
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    if my knowledge is useful
    i am also in
    is there anything i can do?
    #-Link-Snipped-#: i am confused with post you are saying usage of GSM then what the need of RF
    but i think RF means radio frequency signals if i am right
    it will be more accurate than GSM because GSM depends on n/w signals
    i got lot of problems using GSM in my project
    i think harshed remember it as i asked his help in that
    anyway in hardware or embedded program i am in i know something in that
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    #-Link-Snipped-# there is no chance for usage of GSM. We don't need global coverage and Wi-Fi or RF provides enough range. If we consider price factor then RF can be cheaper solution.

If we use GSM again we have to pay for either GPRS or SMS.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    I had considered RF vs WiFi, and its worth deliberating.

RF
    For RF, I would rather use a pair of APC220 Radio Communication Module-DFRobot @ $40 ($20 each, inc USB adapter and dipole antennas). Its reliable and simple to use. The cheap TX & RX isn't too reliable and at least we don't need to worry about having a dedicated hardware for the RX part connected to the PC. (Plus we need 2 x RX & TX for two way communications)

WiFi
    I haven't actually tried the WiFi part yet before, so this will be new for me. There are two ways we can do this:
    1) Using dedicated WiFi shield. Expensive but potentially easier to code with. Cheap one is here->#-Link-Snipped-# @ $54
    2) #-Link-Snipped-# + #-Link-Snipped-# @ total $37.50

Why WiFi?
    So my case for WiFi is this. In my project, I intend to rely on TCP/IP for communications to both the computer as well as the future objective to connect to the cloud directly (bypassing the computer). With WiFi, I don't have to worry about receiving hardware if there is an existing network at home. Range can be extended easily (range extenders, power-line Ethernet, etc). If there are multiple nodes (lets say this Arduino is 1 node), it is a lot easier to the computer/monitoring software to manage rather than an RF mesh.

The challenges I forsee with WiFi is coding with the TCP/IP stack and how reliable the transmission really is (after testing) in terms of latency. And Yes, 2.4GHz isn't a useful band for an indoor environment, though there are ways to overcome it. Also, WiFi will consume more power.

We can still use RF
    I do however encourage you guys to use RF as well if not WiFi, for the sake of knowledge sharing (and making use of its advantages over WiFi). Perhaps the GUI can accommodate both types of communications?

#-Link-Snipped-#
    At the first part, using a stripboard will just be used to detect presence of raindrops. To measure rainfall amount, a rain gauge needs to be used such as a Tipping bucket rain gauge. I'd focus on the stripboard part first and worry about the amount later ๐Ÿ˜›

#-Link-Snipped-#
    Yeah, GSM is more of a secondary objective. Its more to explore the potential of sending telemetry data via GSM network. Again, for learning purposes ๐Ÿ˜€
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    so i vote for RF because using RF we can communicate at any whether conditions
    and there will be no other serious problems with it
    i dont know much about wifi but my wifi goes down when whether is bad
    so i am voting for RF
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    narayana murthy
    so i vote for RF because using RF we can communicate at any whether conditions
    and there will be no other serious problems with it
    i dont know much about wifi but my wifi goes down when whether is bad
    so i am voting for RF
    Even RF range is affected by water and walls.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    Harshad Italiya
    Even RF range is affected by water and walls.
    we can make it by sending the signals in air at heights i have an idea on it
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    RF
    For RF, I would rather use a pair of APC220 Radio Communication Module-DFRobot @ $40 ($20 each, inc USB adapter and dipole antennas). Its reliable and simple to use. The cheap TX & RX isn't too reliable and at least we don't need to worry about having a dedicated hardware for the RX part connected to the PC. (Plus we need 2 x RX & TX for two way communications)
    2 x RX & TX ? Can't we use simple Transceiver? Or APC220 is transceiver only?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Harshad Italiya
    2 x RX & TX ? Can't we use simple Transceiver? Or APC220 is transceiver only?
    If I was to stick to RF, I intend to use 2 x APC220 (one for the Arduino, and one connected to the PC). However, whatever works well we can still use ๐Ÿ˜€

Are you ordering an Arduino?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    ash
    If I was to stick to RF, I intend to use 2 x APC220 (one for the Arduino, and one connected to the PC). However, whatever works well we can still use ๐Ÿ˜€

Are you ordering an Arduino?
    I wish I can. ๐Ÿ˜• I will contact #-Link-Snipped-# if I can work with him.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Harshad Italiya
    I wish I can. ๐Ÿ˜• I will contact #-Link-Snipped-# if I can work with him.
    Sure. But how ? ๐Ÿ˜•
    I wished physicist wouldve developed "Teleporter" so we can gather at one place in no time !
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Abhishek Rawal
    Sure. But how ? ๐Ÿ˜•
    I wished physicist wouldve developed "Teleporter" so we can gather at one place in no time !
    How long did it take for you to order your Arduino?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    ash
    How long did it take for you to order your Arduino?
    I already have Arduino. I need a shield & few female jumpers.
    PS: I am out of jumpers (>.<)
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Abhishek Rawal
    Yes, what I meant was, when you ordered yours before, how long did it take to ship?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Abhishek Rawal
    You can get it at cheaper price from Relief Road. #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# you can start development. I will help with extra hardware testing and designing.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    ash
    Yes, what I meant was, when you ordered yours before, how long did it take to ship?
    2 days & around 10 hours.

#-Link-Snipped-# I'm on it ,gotta move my lazy ass & have to visit RR Electronics shop ๐Ÿ˜Ž
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Hi guys. Despite being unemployed at the moment, there still seem to be a lot of errands to run ๐Ÿ˜›

Any how, I plan to get a strip board tomorrow to work on the rain sensor & hopefully purchase the Wifi shield by the end of this week.

Attached is the Ardunio that I am using. Its an old model, but still works well.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I've been reading several reports that the Dropbox app running on iPhone, Android and even Mac has resulted into quick battery drain. It looks like the excessive CPU usage, which...
in general in India we have 50Hz frequency of power distribution is using and others 60Hzs,i was shocked when gone through the aircraft power distribution where it takes 400Hz of...
We all have seen the Ambassador, the car loosely based on the Morris Oxford III, manufactured by Hindustan Motors at its Uttarpara plant near Kolkata West Bengal, the choice of...
This is my experience of attending the CCAT 2013 exam held on 7th July 2013. Section A ------------ In the reading comprehension type question, around 5 questions were asked from...
Researchers have succeeded in developing a new type of window that brings your wild imagination to reality. The window blocks sound but lets the air flow through it; incredible, isn't...