Application to power on/off light automatically

Hi ,

I am new to this forums , so HI to all . I am a software developer and just started my journey in electronics side . [​IMG] I had this particular idea which I want to do for my project .

IDEA : Problem statement : In my college every room has fans and light which is powered with normal switches. People when leaving the class don't switch off the fans and lights when leaving the classroom

Solution : I wanted to develop a software which will recognize when the classroom is empty and will switch off the lights as soon as no one is there .

It will have three components :

1. Sensor : This will detect that there are no people in the room and send a signal to the system

2. Software system : Which is responsible for taking in INPUT from the sensor do the processing and send either signal ON/OFF command in some form to the electrical main

3. Main Circuit : This circuit should understand the software command and convert it to signal of some form which makes circuit switch off and switch on

MY PROBLEM :

I am not able to figure out two things .

1. What circuit should I use which can understand a software command and convert to signal ?

2. How can this circuit switch off the power?

I will be greatfull , If somebody can guide if not give proper solution [​IMG]

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Use an IR or UV sensor route the op of the sensor to the comparator

In the room the sensor must sense the human wave that may be temperature or wavelength

Next the op must run a relay a program must route the control of this and what action has to be triggered
  • adikai
    adikai
    thanks a lot for replying on such short time . I have two questions

1. is it possible to make IR or UV sensore manually ??
    2. How do you program a relay ?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Programming is not my area of expertise

But IR and UV sensors are available in the market now itself you can try googling it this is available in India I think

PS A completely programmeless design is also possible
  • adikai
    adikai
    basically I want to do it as finally year project if I buy them then it will be pointless .. Therefore i was thinking of doing it on my own
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    As a final year peoject this is very small. The other version of what you want is called intelligent home automation system. But anyways, instead of detecting human presence like that, keep a count of people who enter and left the room. IR sensor is sufficient.
  • lal
    lal
    Yeah, that would be much easier, to count the number of people going in and out rather than detecting anyone inside the room. But for that there has to be two IR sensors, Right? Or else cant figure whether people enterd or left the room.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    lal
    Yeah, that would be much easier, to count the number of people going in and out rather than detecting anyone inside the room. But for that there has to be two IR sensors, Right? Or else cant figure whether people enterd or left the room.
    There are lots of cases and considerations like multipke people entering at the same time. But that depends on the imagination of engineer how he can tackle it. As well other possible things are there where the raw design tends to fail. But for initial, atleast construct the basic model. Optimizations and improvements can be done later.
  • lal
    lal
    Oh thats right. I didn't think about such possibilities. Constrained my scope to just one.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Friends, I have got an enquiry for the design & fabriction of PIG TROLLEY which is used to launch a PIG in a pipeline for cleaning purpose. If any one...
Hi..!! I am Maneesh Chowdary presently pursuing final year b-tech MECHANICAL ENGINEERING. My aim is just to be a part of any invention or a creation which the world welcomes...
"Visibly Smart, Top-of-the-Line Performance for Your Most Demanding Tasks" the tag line of core i-7 , which has gained die hard fans for itself well to beat its and to...
NAME:BHAWNA SINGH OCCUPATION:STUDENT DIPLOMA IN COMPUTER ENGG. IN CSE PERSUING B.TECH IN CSE HOBBIES &INTERESTS : PLAYING CHESS,DEVELOPE COMPUTER APPLICATIONS AIM : BE A PART IN MAKING INDIA AS A...
Hi All, What today we are in and what tomorrow we will face is becoming unpredictable day by day.Organizations/Public Places/Transport/Coastal areas/Borders are on high targets and radar for security challenges....