application software interaction with system software(os)

Most of my questions are still didn't answered.Anyway this is my another query brothers
I hope you will make it clear.
how application software interact with system software.
I have some point of view .Is it correct.
"whenever an application software is launched it uses its corresponding port nos to interact with system software(operating system which will act like a socket).But I often get a confusion if this is the case so many tons of softwares are there then how they will manage port nos.Also what happens in case of various os scenarios like in windows,linux,macintosh".
Anyway advanced thanks before answering my question

Replies

• gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    From what I've learned so far, recent operating systems communicate with their software programs with what is called as 'event'. In MS Windows, these events are called as 'Messages'. In Linux, these are called as 'Signals'.

So these events are nothing but messages to communicate. Lets take Windows OS, every application has an Application Message queue. If you open window and press the X on top right hand side to close it. Thus you are making an event to occur, by clicking the X button. As soon as you click X, a message (Known as WM_QUIT) is passed in the Application message queue to the OS. The OS in turn closes the specific window in whose message queue the message WM_QUIT is present.

I hope you get it now.
  • computeridiot007
    computeridiot007
    gaurav.bhorkar
    From what I've learned so far, recent operating systems communicate with their software programs with what is called as 'event'. In MS Windows, these events are called as 'Messages'. In Linux, these are called as 'Signals'.

So these events are nothing but messages to communicate. Lets take Windows OS, every application has an Application Message queue. If you open window and press the X on top right hand side to close it. Thus you are making an event to occur, by clicking the X button. As soon as you click X, a message (Known as WM_QUIT) is passed in the Application message queue to the OS. The OS in turn closes the specific window in whose message queue the message WM_QUIT is present.

I hope you get it now.
    bro thanks for your reply this thing I know already.This thing comes under windows and visual programming concepts.I am asking whether while they communicate like in network (socket (os) and the port will be used by the application )in order to establish the connection.
    Anyway i am glad that you responded quickly.
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    computeridiot007
    bro thanks for your reply this thing I know already.This thing comes under windows and visual programming concepts.I am asking whether while they communicate like in network (socket (os) and the port will be used by the application )in order to establish the connection.
    Anyway i am glad that you responded quickly.
    hmm...Well, I don't have any idea about the use of 'port nos.' in communicating of software with the OS. Waiting for other CEans to answer.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    well I don't think so there is any role socket ,port no's in interaction of system software with application software

It involves a lot of processes which communicate with each other via interprocess communication

Correct me if i am wrong
  • computeridiot007
    computeridiot007
    goyal420
    well I don't think so there is any role socket ,port no's in interaction of system software with application software

It involves a lot of processes which communicate with each other via interprocess communication

Correct me if i am wrong
    brother then why every application is having a port nos
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Port no are just used to connect your computer with some remote computer.A particular application just listen on a particular port .
    calculator is also a kind of application software. It has not any port no
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    look
    when any application need to talk with other application they must need a port number.
    computer gives the port number ranging from 00 to 65000(in approx).
    every application have a unique port number.Because once a port number is given to an application it cannot be given to others.

computeridiot007
    brother then why every application is having a port nos
    when one application want to communicate with other application.They must know where it is.

IP address of the machine(where the application is running) and the port number these two things makes the unique address of an application.
    collectively these two are known as socket.
    you can say that a port number determine the uniqueness of an application.

when any system software executes the application software.
    Than application software make a call to system software for the resources to perform any operation on files or send a message(Tcp/ip).

let me know if you have any more doubt about this.
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    But i don't know how to find which application software using which port no.
    Anybody have idea about that.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    You mean to say one application communicate with another on same machine via socket?
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    goyal420
    You mean to say one application communicate with another on same machine via socket?
    socket is the unix/linux method for accomplishing inter-process communication (IPC). What this means is as a commonly used analogy is that a socket is used to allow one process to speak to another. The socket is a programming interface that is used to open communication pathways between two or more generally different processes.

These processes are usually, but not necessarily running on different computers. If two processes wish to communicate either on the same machine or on different computers they can’t call functions within each other like objects within a program so they need some common reference point. If they were on the same machine they could both write to a file on the hard disk, this requires both having pre-agreed a ‘physical’ file and would be slow.

Instead of this they communicate either between the operating systems on two machines or within the operating system of a single machine.
    Sockets are the common point of reference the processes require managed by the operating system. The program tells the operating system by a function call that it wants to listen to a specific socket identified by an integer.

Whenever another program writes information to that socket the operating system checks the listeners of the given descriptor. Effectively the socket is a centralised way of communication between applications controlled by the operating system.

hope you got your answer.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi I want to simulate a VCO in simulink, the input for which has to be from the real world. How can i interface the real world input to the...
The wait is finally over! Mozilla has released the much awaited version of their browser, still in Beta (beta1). The browser packs lot of new features (HTML5, WebM etc.) Apart...
For quadcopter projects : www.flyingrobot.co.in [FONT="]"Flying Robot" is fully a radio controlled device. High stability is the main advantage of this[/FONT]
Just do the above multiplication and see the result. 😀 Interesting, right? 😀
Hey guys. How are u all? See, there is some problem with my catia software.Its version is V5R17. While saving the file after doing the assembly design an error is...