Apple TV (iTV) - What Do You Expect?

This post isn't going to be much about Apple TV or iTV. Apple is known to disrupt the markets. The iPod disrupted the personal music player market, the iPhone did that to the smartphone market and the iPad did it again to the personal computing market. Now, if the rumours are to be believed, Apple is working on a TV product. Whether it's going to be a simple Set Top Box or a completely new TV package is yet to be revealed.

I've always thought that very little innovation has gone into the device that's already become an integral part of our lives. TVs are still the same that they used to be - channels streaming content and we getting them on our TV sets via regular Antenna or the brand new set top box. I won't call any of that as 'innovation'.

Do you agree that much needs to be done on the TV side?

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I've been reading about it. Apple analysts are giving a lot of positive nods to Apple's next product. It goes without saying that they think it will really be 'revolutionizing'.
    With high expectations the general public has started thinking that Apple will not release a television if it can't do something special with content. But if we look closely, we have many reasons to believe that what can make the Apple television special isn't blowing up the cable industry, it's the interface that it will deliver for users.

We can expect the TV to include Siri and compatibility with third party devices as well as potential integration with content guides.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Apple been looking forward to this step of so-called "iTV" because Ubuntu got very great response for #-Link-Snipped-#.

When Apple releases anything new, I always think of it's cost first ... If iPhone 4S is of 34k bucks (maybe more), then think about iTV.

Ubuntu TV has everything : Cable/Satellite service support, Online Video via Youtube, Stream Music, Photos, Videos from PC to TV, Ubuntu TV apps for iOS, Android & Ubuntu; Media can be shared between TV & Portable devices using Cloud service, Ubuntu One. Ubuntu TV runs applications from Third party developers.

So what is Ubuntu TV by Canonical is missing that iTV has to add in their device to draw attraction of the customers ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    uBuntu's already on turning their mobile operating system into a computer and I think that is 'HUGE'. Of course iTV isn't going to be pocket, budget friendly. Yes, Siri might make it to Apple TV but I'm quite sure a lot of people feel awkward talking to TV. Has anyone used dictation on the macs? I think I'm just getting old fashioned.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Apple is rumoured to be in the process of launching a smaller, pocket friendly version of the popular tablet brand - the iPad. The 7" seems to be Apple's answer...
inviting unix users to share difficulties they faced while using the system or any changes/improvements that were required or some project idea that can make use of capabilities of unix....
I m a second year electrical engineering student. I was informed about a training by TI University Program on MSP430 LaunchPad. Is this useful for me? This training is certified...
Hi, It's Anushka Vaghani....I'm first year engineering student from Gujarat-India 😀 I hope I'll get some really useful resources for my studies.
why do automobile suffer power loss with increase i n altitude???