Apple Smart Home system to control everything - from lights to juicers

The Apple World Wide Developer Conference (WWDC 2014) is just a few days away and the rumours that Apple will make big announcements on the home automation front are popping up in the social media. Dubbed 'Apple Smart Home', the system will take charge of everything in your home, right from your doorbell to kitchen appliances. The system is likely to be based off Apple's AirPlay or iBeacon; but focused on connecting a number of devices which can be controlled through smartphones or tablets. Apple's iOS 8; will likely have all the new features to take care of the Smart Home.

Apple's aim seems to have shifted towards creating an ecosystem of its products and services. A lot of people were surprised when Apple decided to buy the Nest Labs for a whooping $3.2 billion. The acquisition of Nest Labs gave Apple a ready access to all the engineering talent at Nest working on home automation system. No wonder Apple's putting that talent to use in their next big project; which likely is the home automation ecosystem.

apple-smart-home

Apple's already filed a few patents that hint at the upcoming launches. For example, the Patent No. #-Link-Snipped-#, shows how Apple wants iPhone or iPad can control home's security, lighting systems along with garage doors, music et all. Apple envisions a home which would play your favorite song depending upon your mood and time as soon as you open the door. It'll also adjust the lights in home to give you the best possible environment.

The WWDC 2014 is scheduled between June 2-6 and we'll have to wait till Apple officially makes the new announcements. Do let us know your thoughts on this update.

Replies

• Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    As you have rightly pointed out that Apple's acquisition over Nest labs had hinted that something of that sort is coming right on the way.

I am excited to see what apple would come-up with.

My wish list:
    - Ability to operate Electricity, Water taps and Gas from the the Phone (This would help if you missed to switch off anything, you can check that on the touch tone apple device and turn it off)
    - Operable House security lock with a pin code on the mobile.
    - A facility of notification as soon as someone breaches the security and goes in the house.
  • avii
    avii
    Rajni Jain
    I am excited to see what apple would come-up with.

My wish list:
    - Ability to operate Electricity, Water taps and Gas from the the Phone (This would help if you missed to switch off anything, you can check that on the touch tone apple device and turn it off)
    - Operable House security lock with a pin code on the mobile.
    - A facility of notification as soon as someone breaches the security and goes in the house.
    These things already exists. I doubt what Apple would do

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Sapience Analytics is a Pune-based analytics start-up founded in 2009 by Shirish Deodhar, Madhukar Bhatia, Swati Deodhar and Hemant Joshi. The company has developed a software tool designed to gain...
Please refer to the picture below. OX- Shows the top supporting frame. XY- It is the part which contains a membrane and does to and fro motion to blow air....
A team of mechanical engineering professors at the Brigham Young University have developed a super-hydrophobic (or waterproof) surface that is capable of bouncing the droplet of water like a ball...
A team of engineering researchers at Fraunhofer Institute for Manufacturing Technology and Advanced Materials has come up with a project called EU SARISTU (short for Smart Intelligent Aircraft Structures) that...
please tell me abt instrumentation jobs....newly opening.my resume and pic iz attached here. thanking you