Apple Digital Handshake & Invisible Ink - Does It Make Sense?

Apple wants to be ahead of the competition all the time. But we can't say that for sure. Apple has filed for a patent that talks about digital handshakes between devices using invisible ink. While the whole world and electronic giants are placing their bets on the NFC (Near Field Communication) technology; Apple wants to stand out of the crowd. The way Apple wants to do is is quite weird. If you want to pair two iPhones, the first iPhone will have to generate a key and then the other iPhone will take a photo of it and then the pairing will begin. If anyone of you is interested in knowing more about the technology Apple might incorporate in future iPhone, check out following two links -

#-Link-Snipped-#

& #-Link-Snipped-#

apple-digital-handshake

All I want to ask you is, do you think does this make sense?

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Right off the top of my head, the first question will be, what if the camera malfunctions? Or if the camera is broken?

I'm also surprised this arrangement was given a patent. We are already using the camera to read bar codes and QR codes.
    This authentication and pairing seems to be a similar process, at least in the first few steps. We read an image, process it and extract some info.
    With that info, we probably do some encoding or something to come up with a key. If that encoding algorithm is proprietary, then the patent should have been got for that encoding method alone. If, on the other hand, an open algorithm like, say, MD5 is used, then there is no need for a patent on this.

If I can write an app for reading QR codes, what is stopping me from writing an app which would do the above mentioned pairing?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I recently came across the terms 'On-page' & 'Off-Page' SEO. I think On-Page SEO means key-word rich content. (Not sure of this, since there has to be more to the...
hey guys , am new at image processing and wish to create my own filter that would reduce shot noise please could anyone help me?
The technical fest is organized by Godavari Institute Of Engineering and technology. This fest is brought to you by ECE Department. Fest Dates--22 december, 23 december 2011 Events-- 1. Paper...
Let's make a collection of "technology facts" that are less known and are good for general knowledge. You can add anything related to technology companies, websites, hardware/software, web etc.
Facebook will be opening an office in New York by 2012. It's planning to recruit hundreds of engineers to plan out other innovative ideas for the social networking site. You'll...