App Or Responsive Design : What Do You Want?

There are two options in front of us to make CE available on mobile devices and tablets. The first one is the 'App' and the second one is 'Responsive Design'. Let me quickly explain what each of these two options mean -

1. App: We'll have to develop apps for separate platforms and the two leading platforms are Android and iOS. The biggest drawback of developing an 'App' is that it won't support all the mobile devices. For example, we'll need a separate mobile app for Nokia, Blackberry, Windows phones.

2. Responsive Design: This is another option - the site adjusts itself according to the screen size. The site will eliminate components while keeping the focus on content. So when you're accessing it on a regular iPad, you may view the site in full mode. But if you opt for smaller screen sizes, the site itself will remove sidebar and present a mobile friendly layout.

The drawback of having a responsive design is that we'll have few limitations on the overall display of content.

I'd like to have different views on this before taking a final decision. If you prefer the app way, do let me know which operating system to you have on your phone: Android, iOS, Blackberry or some other OS.

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I once asked for application for Android platform but now ... I have changed the decision & my answer will be "None".

CrazyEngineers is fitting perfectly in all browsers (for me) & I am having no problem in accessing any feature of CE minus uploading pics/file.

I can upload pics too but I have switch my browser from Opera to UC just for uploading purpose.

But hey, overall I am satisfied with this interface - Don't change, please 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Troll_So_Hard
    I once asked for application for Android platform but now ... I have changed the decision & my answer will be "None".

CrazyEngineers is fitting perfectly in all browsers (for me) & I am having no problem in accessing any feature of CE minus uploading pics/file.

I can upload pics too but I have switch my browser from Opera to UC just for uploading purpose.

But hey, overall I am satisfied with this interface - Don't change, please 😀
    The default layout will continue to work unless we setup a responsive layout. Which would basically improve the things and not make them worse. It will make posting a cakewalk as well.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Responsive layout would be good.
    It's better than app. I like to bookmark rather than installing apps.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    I'd suggest create a poll for this question so that it's easy to see the trend. For me, responsive design is the way to go!!
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    A Java App is worth a try cos nearly all mobiles will use
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Conqueror
    A Java App is worth a try cos nearly all mobiles will use
    I'm not sure if that'd really deliver the experience we can deliver through native android, ios, blackberry, windows apps. 😨
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm not sure if that'd really deliver the experience we can deliver through native android, ios, blackberry, windows apps. 😨
    No issues about it then buddy thanks for clarifying it here
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Conqueror
    No issues about it then buddy thanks for clarifying it here
    Yeah, I mean you'll need at least a decent sized screen to really interact with the site. This site demands user interaction and would work better if user accesses them through bigger screen mobiles. And given the markets - I think most budget phones too have a good screen with Android. Works better for us.

Apart from that the responsive design works wonderfully on most screen sizes.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

MAY I KNOW THE PURPOSES OF USING BRACINGS IN STRUCTURAL FABRICATION.
South Korea's successful startup event, beLaunch is now accepting Indian applications. If you are a company registered in India and wants to find partners, distributors or create awareness in South...
guys do you know how to read disk capacitor value??? what is the value of 47K, 02 AEC. please help
Often I hear 'A nation's worth is determined by how much gold it has' and 'The cost of gold never depreciates'. My question is why?​Why is gold so valuable? Something...
I am working on automatic image annotation for my major project. In this project, features of image are extracted and note are provided to that image depended on the feature.all...