Anyone Dropped Out Of Campus Placements?

99% of the students I've met actually have one agenda on their mind - find a job through campus placement. Then there are engineers who want to try out something on their own. Let's look forward to graduating engineers who've decided to opt out of campus placements to start their own venture.

Are you the one? Or do you know anyone? We're interested in knowing about you.

Replies

• *pushkar*
    *pushkar*
    Yes. I am a student of 2011 batch. There was no campus placement in my college so off campuses are the only options for us. Last year, there were huge vacancies so my all seniors had got placed. But our batch is unluckiest batch. No company has started the recruitment yet that's why i am worried.

God helps us..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Sorry to hear that, friend. Let's hope that you'll get job soon.

Dropping out of placements by choice for entrepreneurship is what we're looking for in this discussion.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Biggie, I guess am not supposed to talk, but yeah, I too had a thought of dropping out from my placements and thinking of building my own firm or something. But at that time, what stopped me was, what if I didn't get a job after my engineering and others think am useless.

I have heard people in my relations, talking behind the backs of those, who have started to live on their own legs and stuff. One is a top Tupperwareβ„’ seller and she became the best in five years. Another had kept their own Provision Stores. The one, who ignored the companies and started to live on his own, by doing projects was highly demotivated. He was said as sitting at home without a job and doing some outsourcing work!!!

Okay, if at all I had left my placement, I would have started my own Web Designing and Web Application Development company. And now, anyways, I have joined a similar profile and enjoying.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Experiences are welcome.
    So, what is it that you are expecting from us? I mean, it would be nice if you could pose a few questions for the buddies, who would like to answer so that they can frame their post... πŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Praveen-Kumar
    So, what is it that you are expecting from us? I mean, it would be nice if you could pose a few questions for the buddies, who would like to answer so that they can frame their post... πŸ˜€
    Well, there's another thread where we can share experiences of success and failure - both are equally appreciated. I actually wanted to know whether there are any students who're quitting campus placements to start their own ventures.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The campus interview experience has been completely bad for me. It is only because of not having a clear goal in front of me. I earlier rejected offer from many core companies, and selected a sales job. Now I want a core job but cannot appear as I have got selected in one company. Also I did not appear for CAT.

I only want to say, that I am not the first nor I will be the last who has this failure feeling. But I can only hope for good.
  • vinci
    vinci
    something i read above had happened with me and my batch-mates too.NO company visited out college .Its the time when we were in 8th semester and no hope to get out of the problem .Gradually all students were migrated to other cities and some of them have good jobs now I am also doing the same ,a job in my city ,not migrated to other city but now i have my own target towards my career.-A company of my own .I with my friends ,recently decided and put forward some views how and when to start the tasks.We are trying to develop a website in joomla and soon be on track for development and designing websites along with hosting +networking services .
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That's a nice thing to do. But don't you think you're being 'forced' (by the situation) to become an entrepreneur? How do you see it?
  • vinci
    vinci
    ofcourse i am forced as i am extremely dissatisfied by the term 'job' itself.Life becomes so uneasy to think even about ourselves .But whats life without struggling in the path to our goal.hardships gives sweet results .
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    vinci
    ofcourse i am forced as i am extremely dissatisfied by the term 'job' itself.Life becomes so uneasy to think even about ourselves .But whats life without struggling in the path to our goal.hardships gives sweet results .
    What if companies had visited your college for recruitment? What if you'd have been offered a job by top IT company? Would you still give it all up for your startup?
  • vinci
    vinci
    i will definitely go with startup because i want do service for the people in a better way and what else is the best other than startup .gradually i come to know the truths behind the "big packages" that employees are supposed to do work for late nights ,sacrificing life and family and what would you get may not be expected.Its better to have a company of your own ,where you can server a better service in delighted environment of your own choice.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Be prepared to sacrifice parties, staying up late night and get 'unexpected' at the end of day's hardwork. Welcome to the world of entrepreneurship.

But if you love what you're doing - you'll always go to the bed with a smiling face.
  • vinci
    vinci
    I am absolutely ready for sacrifices dear big_k .and i love to manage my surroundings in better way by learning management form that .i may do the same with my start up
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    vinci
    I am absolutely ready for sacrifices dear big_k .and i love to manage my surroundings in better way by learning management form that .i may do the same with my start up
    Great! That's the best way to learn management πŸ˜€
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I am unable to see why people directly start their business after graduating. Do we really have experince? Hard work is ok, but why do you want to fail at the first attempt you are making? Try to get into industry through campus or otherwise and then make a move after couple of years. Isn't it wise? Why act recklessly?
  • vinci
    vinci
    its because working as an employee specially fresher doesnt gives any benefit to anyone .it indeed seems like a support person and nothing else to the manager
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    vinci
    its because working as an employee specially fresher doesnt gives any benefit to anyone .it indeed seems like a support person and nothing else to the manager
    All the best to you πŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Issue
    I am unable to see why people directly start their business after graduating. Do we really have experince? Hard work is ok, but why do you want to fail at the first attempt you are making? Try to get into industry through campus or otherwise and then make a move after couple of years. Isn't it wise? Why act recklessly?
    What experience? How can one gain experience of being an entrepreneur and tasting the waters?

Swimming in the sea can't be learnt by standing under the shower.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The_Big_K
    What experience? How can one gain experience of being an entrepreneur and tasting the waters?

Swimming in the sea can't be learnt by standing under the shower.
    You are not getting me. If you start immediately you have high chances of failure.

For setting up your product, you should have experience, clarity of thought about your field and good knowledge about your product.

Anyways starting a business is not at all a big thing. Any Tom, Dick and Harry can register a company. The question arises about the product you are going to sell.

To give you an example, if you are dealing in computer services, in providing services to your client, owner SHOULD be an expert in programming. This is necessary for initial steps. Else he might not grow very much. This is my thought.

You can cover consultancy services, manufacturing sector etc here.

But as you say there are many trades where you might start from day 1. For example Trading. In general the retail sector, website business etc.

There is much to talk but due to limitations I am not talking very much. However I will always go with experience. Even in modern age, slow but steady wins the race.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Issue
    You are not getting me. If you start immediately you have high chances of failure.
    The chances of failure are always the same. No matter how and when you start.

Issue
    For setting up your product, you should have experience, clarity of thought about your field and good knowledge about your product.

Anyways starting a business is not at all a big thing. Any Tom, Dick and Harry can register a company. The question arises about the product you are going to sell.
    I know what you're saying. But the truth is that no job experience can give you even a taste of what it is like to run a business. In a job, you're typically limited to a role say engineering, product design, marketing, administration etc. But as a startup; you'll have to work on almost all the fields at least for the first few days.

Issue
    To give you an example, if you are dealing in computer services, in providing services to your client, owner SHOULD be an expert in programming. This is necessary for initial steps. Else he might not grow very much. This is my thought.
    An excellent programmer may not be as good at marketing, customer service, business management, growth, finance, administration et al. Working for an IT company for 10 years does not guarantee that you'll know the other important areas.

Issue
    You can cover consultancy services, manufacturing sector etc here.

But as you say there are many trades where you might start from day 1. For example Trading. In general the retail sector, website business etc.

There is much to talk but due to limitations I am not talking very much. However I will always go with experience. Even in modern age, slow but steady wins the race.
    There are several big businesses that started just right out of college dorms: Facebook, Google, Dell, HP etc.

Work experience in one domain may just work; but it can *never* make you ready for the startup you're planning.

The only advantage I see about gaining experience is the money that you can save up to cover your expenses when your business does not make money.
    There is a small amount of correctness in what Ishu says right? As even I have faced a similar situation, you remember?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    See, there is not right or wrong in this situation. The point I'm making is that 'experience is overrated'.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The_Big_K
    See, there is not right or wrong in this situation. The point I'm making is that 'experience is overrated'.
    I agree to all your points. Experience is over rated. But business from day 1 is not my cup of tea β˜• The people who made Google, FlipCart, Facebook were intelligent. They got a concrete idea and became instant hit.

I have a dream. It is insignificant in their comparison. But still I think it is worth a try. For that I need to have right kind of knowledge and right kind of people. Knowledge I can get from IITs/ IISc. It is essential for my start-up.

As far as this thread is concerned, I got placed in every company I appeared. But I am still not joining any organization. Dropping out to call it simply! πŸ‘

Praveen-Kumar
    There is a small amount of correctness in what Ishu says right? As even I have faced a similar situation, you remember?
    What situation? πŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    You don't start comparing yourself with those who've been successful. You start by learning what they did and how they did it. Then you use your own judgement and intelligence to come up with your own plan. You may start on day one or day 4001.

I think all of the entrepreneurs have said one thing - the sooner the better.
  • Reya
    Reya
    The_Big_K
    You don't start comparing yourself with those who've been successful. You start by learning what they did and how they did it. Then you use your own judgement and intelligence to come up with your own plan. You may start on day one or day 4001.

Superlike πŸ˜€ I second you Biggie!

Only one guy in my class has started his venture despite getting placed in all the companies(including core companies) Rest of the students are working in software companies. I'm one among them though i'm not interested πŸ˜”
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The_Big_K

Hey don't be nervous. Technically I am already working on my project (collecting info). It will take at least 3 years to be put into place (may take more). The only thing is that I won't register a company for 3 years. I need expertise from IITs and hence want to secure admission there. Its that simple. πŸ‘

Reya
    Superlike πŸ˜€ I second you Biggie!
    I guess I am less popular than Biggie 😁

Reya
    Only one guy in my class has started his venture despite getting placed in all the companies(including core companies) Rest of the students are working in software companies. I'm one among them though i'm not interested πŸ˜”
    Never mind. If you really want to become business woman, conditions will present themselves. Just wait for that opportunity.
    and convey my luck to that fellow. πŸ˜€
  • vinci
    vinci
    we dont need experience Do we?did we had experience when entered engineering schools what will happen ?or how can we manage ahead?No .But we did managed all .So here is .We dont need experience instead a support in terms of finance or in any ethical means .Courage and will is enough to face the world and challenges
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    vinci
    we dont need experience Do we?did we had experience when entered engineering schools what will happen ?or how can we manage ahead?No .But we did managed all .So here is .We dont need experience instead a support in terms of finance or in any ethical means .Courage and will is enough to face the world and challenges
    I guess we both are on the same track. Everyone of us tries to find a proper atmosphere in terms of know-how. It may be through various means. This takes him/her a step ahead in achieving success in that enterprise. πŸ˜€

There are things I cannot explain in writing but they are understood on a practical basis πŸ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi CEans i am ECE student ,its my final year so have to do a project that is something unique ,usefull to the society.. i'm interested in Wireless comm,Image Processing,so...
can ne1 tell me which software is worthy to learn as i m a mechanical engg.......i hv already learn solidworks ......but as now a days learning solid works is like...
What is future of SEO in india? is it good to choose as career
Does anyone have piano notes for the song Main Gaoon Tum so Jao by Mohd. Rafi (from the movie Brahmachari)?
Hello CEans,​ ​I'm ASHISH BARDHAN. I'm an undergraduate student of Netaji Subhas Institute of Technology ( N.S.I.T ), opted B.E./B.Tech. in Information Technology (IT). I'm currently in my Pre-Final 3rd...