an interesting sci-fi project - FLOATING IN SPACE

HI...!..iam doing my electrical engineering 2nd year ..im merely interested in desinging a sci-fi project๐Ÿ˜ .the description of this project is as follows..
an iron ball floating against the gravitational force based on the idea of using an electromagnet to provide an opposing force .In a nut shell the principle will be like this..
(i)the force of gravitation
(2)the force of magnetic attraction acting on an object such a way that their resultant force is nil and the object is kept floating in the air.๐Ÿ˜€

could any one provide me a deep idea about this ..!!!i wanna to present it as my final year project !!๐Ÿ˜Ž

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    What exactly do you mean by deep idea? I think you already have a great idea!
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire
    Hi HRG
    Since it is a metal object you cold look at superconductor magnetism/levitation. You need very little: some liquid nitrogen, a magnet and a piece of metal. Superconductors expel magnetic fields and so...QED
    To use electromagnet you would basically place the superconductor inside the magnetic field
  • TARANJEET SINGH
    TARANJEET SINGH
    but i don't think that liquid nitrogen would be available so easily, isn't there any other ideaยฟ
  • HRG
    HRG
    will the superconducting phenemenon floats the ball for specified time ?

will ther any other way .any circuit based ?
    what about if we oppose the ball against the gravitational force using a opposing force created by electromagnetic circuit using a coil and reflector circiut .is this idea is possible ?
    pls suggest me wit some circuits .im much awaitng for this project ....
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire
    HRG
    Yes. As the ball moves closer to its critical point it begins to fall.
    There is a strange man in the US who has no formal training...just a purely scientific mind. I know he created such a levitation device out of ordinary stuff. I'll see if I can find it
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire
    Try this
    amasci.com
  • HRG
    HRG
    thank you mr.voltaire!

could you please explain me wat is the use of op-amp & photo transistors ?i read that these kinds of elements will be useful in designing the circuits!!!...
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire
    Mate, ask the electric/electronic engineers; I have never tried to build one of these
    Op ams here Operational Amplifier
    I have never seen a phototransistor but info on it is at Photodiode

You should use Wikipedia. It will answer most of your questions ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • HRG
    HRG
    hi
    wiki provided me ....some..useful..ideas..!!๐Ÿ˜›...
    but...im...still....confused.....how...to...develop....a...circuit.for...an..electromagnet circuit ๐Ÿ˜’
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire
    Electromagnet

@HRG
    Electromagnets are very easy to build. You need an iron core, some ceramic insulated wire and a DC source with plenty amps. The right hand rule applies.
    The formula is B = N x (m[sub]0[/sub] x I)/(2 x R) for a single loop
    B is the field at the centre of the loop in tesla, N is the number of windings around the core, I is the current and R is the radius (not resistance).
    m[sub]0[/sub] is the permeability of free space and is constant (look it up ๐Ÿ˜€ hint: it is around 1 x 10[sup]-6[/sup])
    In a solenoid the equation reduces to
    B = m[sub]0[/sub] x n x I where n is the number of loops per metre
  • limestone7000
    limestone7000
    u guys have good ideas,
    but one idea just struck me, u can correct me if i m wrong, i m open to criticism!

how abt having a cube, with approx 4 cm edge,
    at left 4 corners, we have South poles of 4 different magnets, and right 4 corners, we have North poles of 4 different magnets,
    Now, we place a magnet bar in the middle of the cube(in the air) such that North Pole of it is pointing to right of the cube, whilst the South pole of the bar, pointing to the left of the cube.

Thus, by the repulsion of the North-North poles(and south-south poles) it'll stay in the air stable, appearing as if it's avoiding the gravitational force of the Earth!

whatcha think!?
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire
    Aiaiai...
    Think about it. How many sides does a cube have? How many poles does a magnet have? How do you get a resultant if the magnetic forces cancel out? How do you account for gravity?
    Perpetual motion does not exist!!!
  • chuackl
    chuackl
    Your idea is to make the resultant force equal to mg right? Even so, when come to making the real product, do you have confident in making a cube that have the perfect shape and getting magnetic bar that produce magnetic force identical to each other? Thing may be easy if looking it in a theoritically way but when come to making real product you may have trouble in balancing the magnet at the middle. Correct me if i am wrong.
  • lal
    lal
    @chuackl, limestone
    Lets assume we can make things perfect. But still i guess it wont be able to balance the bar magnet there.
    As voltaire said the magnetic forces will cancel out. If we draw the flux lines it seems like the magnet in the center interacts little with them. And so now the only force acting is gravity.
  • abhinaykumar
    abhinaykumar
    wats the most use of floating ball....
    i think it can be done by magnetic repulsion actions like in magnetic trains...
    it can be done by using a circular hollow magnet and a magnetic ball or watever u know the remaining part naa... using the permanent magnet we can lift a magnetic ball only if u use iron then u have to do it by using electricity.....
  • limestone7000
    limestone7000
    Voltaire
    Aiaiai...
    Think about it. How many sides does a cube have? How many poles does a magnet have? How do you get a resultant if the magnetic forces cancel out? How do you account for gravity?
    Perpetual motion does not exist!!!
    It is possible to practically implement this in 3-D world, if that's what 're asking. A cube has 6 sides, and 8 corners...so if we take 8 magnets, On the left 4 corners we place the south poles of 4 different magnets(their north poles r left outside the cube, we don't care) and on the right 4 corners we place north poles of remaining 4 magnets(their south poles r left outside the cube, we don't care)

And i do realise that earth will pull the magnet bar downwards, BUT at the bottom 4 corners, there's magnetic repulsion force upwards if u apply reasoning...since there r 2 south poles at 2 left bottom corners repelling the south pole of magnet bar, upwards(and same for north pole from the 2 right bottom corners)

i'll give u an analogy to this one,
    imagine a table, the flat surface is getting pulled downwards, by earth's gravity, but it doesn't touch the ground coz it's supported by 4 legs(at 4 corners!) which, according to newton's 3rd law of motion, all 4 legs push the flat surface of table upwards(or against the direction of the gravity of the earth).
    in my context of magnet bar in a cube, the only difference is, the 4 legs are magetic forces and "intangible", this indirectly means that the magnet bar didn't touch the ground, it's still in the space(air) "floating"!

whatcha say!?
  • lal
    lal
    I have got a doubt here. Limestone, lets assume things work as you said. That is, no cancelling of forces. In that case, we cant use use all the 8 magnets of same flux density. If the whole thing happens in a gravity less place, then all magnets should be of same power. But here we have an extra force acting downwards - gravity. Considering that, we have to use more powerful magnets at the bottom 4 corners (2 south & 2 north). Only if things work as you said.
  • abhinaykumar
    abhinaykumar
    will the circular magnets have poles in wich direction....... i mean if the inner circle got the same pole they have to repel right????????
  • lal
    lal
    In circular magnets (which I have dealt with๐Ÿ˜‰), the poles are the flat surfaces. That is, if one flat surface is north the other flat surface is south pole.
  • abhinaykumar
    abhinaykumar
    if the magnet with flat surface is there the ball cannot be floating i supose... coz the top portion of the main circular magnet attracts it..... doesn't it......
  • lal
    lal
    Yes, the ball will not be floating. It would be attracted downwards. Its because all things always try to take the most stable position.

Here the ball can be made to float if we place it over the circular magnet with extreme precision. And everything must be symmetrical with no ecternal forces other than gravity perpendicularly downwards. But this is practically impossible. Hence normally the ball will get attracted towards the circular magnet.

There is another chance to make a circular magnet float. Take two cicrularmagnets, put a stick through the center hole of one magnet. It is resting on the ground. Now the second magnet is put over the first one (with stick in the hole) such that the similar poles are facing each other. You see the second one floating. Its fun with it. Try it.
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire
    That is why you need a superconductor - because it repels magnetism
  • HRG
    HRG
    hi friends!

Thank you very much for the interesting replies !!๐Ÿ˜›

is there any way to decrease and increase the repulsion or attraction forces in a magnet !!!!!๐Ÿ˜’๐Ÿ˜
  • abhinaykumar
    abhinaykumar
    Yah it is there no if u use electric coils instead of magnets u can increase or decrease the Magnetic power....
  • lal
    lal
    As far as permanent magnets are concerned, their power remains a constant. It is lost by ageing, severe shocks or by heating. So varying the flux produced is not possible.

Here an electromagnet gets handy. The flux generated by it can be easily varied by varying the current through it. The flux is proportional to current. This has a lot of applications in dc machines. By varying the flux, controlling the speed of a motor and generated emf in a generator are easy.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Calling all young engineers and engineering students What would you say is the MOST important consideration in design across all disciplines of engineering and why would you say so? E.g....
Hi Everyone This is just a short intro to let you know who I am and how we can all help each other. I read Engineering and post-grad I read...
Good news! PayPal account holders in India can now withdraw their funds via electronic transfer. The facility has been resumed after it was put on hold few days ago. Following...
I recently published a post on VoiCE about the Digital Afterlife. Have a look: Digital Afterlife What do you think? Is there a solution to the problem mentioned there?
I'm a final year student of Bsc in software Engineering with multimedia , please i need an idea for my major project