An idea for saving vibrational energy

Hello CEans,
I think, the energy wasted as vibration, when a vehicle moves, can be converted to voltage using vibration sensors and can be used for charging mobile phones etc. Well I want your help to improve this idea. We can use a vibrational sensor (piezoelectric crystal) to convert vibration to voltage. Then we can use a voltage regulator and save excess energy for making up the low voltage when low vibration is there. I dont know whether it is possible to save excess energy. pls help.

Thank you
Manoj

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Manoj, welcome to CE. Good idea 😀 . Could you elaborate your idea a bit in more detail?
  • mudit jain
    mudit jain
    can we use vibrations to generate electricity for our homes and industries?
  • suman.mathad
    suman.mathad
    i heard when pressure is applied to such materials...voltage isdeveloped
    till the pressure completely disappears
    ..does this implies ,voltage is generated continously?????
  • manojvishnupriya
    manojvishnupriya
    mudit jain
    can we use vibrations to generate electricity for our homes and industries?
    I dont know to how extend this vibration will grow
    Any way if you have some idea we can discuss.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yes, we've been continuously discussion the usage of vibrations into other forms of energy. Try checking these other threads for some other ideas:

1) #-Link-Snipped-#

2) #-Link-Snipped-#

3)#-Link-Snipped-#

Perhaps you might have some technical suggestions and more practical ways to implement it? We are all eagerly waiting for a great solution 😀
  • manojvishnupriya
    manojvishnupriya
    ash
    Yes, we've been continuously discussion the usage of vibrations into other forms of energy. Try checking these other threads for some other ideas:

1) #-Link-Snipped-#

2) #-Link-Snipped-#

3)#-Link-Snipped-#

Perhaps you might have some technical suggestions and more practical ways to implement it? We are all eagerly waiting for a great solution 😀
    Oh thanks Well I will look forward to findout a practical way for this
  • kumar_nitin
    kumar_nitin
    I must say that all the engineers associated with CE are really genius & if anybody isn't then He becomes after joining it.
    thank you CE-team.
  • manojvishnupriya
    manojvishnupriya
    suman.mathad
    i heard when pressure is applied to such materials...voltage isdeveloped
    till the pressure completely disappears
    ..does this implies ,voltage is generated continously?????
    Think what happends when pressure isapplied continuouslly. I mean in periodic manner.
  • sreevishakh11109
    sreevishakh11109
    Can't we use a spring (which can store this vibrational energy into potential energy )and use it for later use???
    sorry if it was a foolishness because i am just a beginner.😲
  • manojvishnupriya
    manojvishnupriya
    sreevishakh11109
    Can't we use a spring (which can store this vibrational energy into potential energy )and use it for later use???
    sorry if it was a foolishness because i am just a beginner.😲
    How can a spring store energy?
  • BigOhm
    BigOhm
    In general it is not practical to recover vibration energy. Consider, as an example, an auto travelling on a highway that has undulations of 0.1 m up and down about some mean elevation. When the auto hits one of the "up" bumps, some of that energy can be stored in a compressed spring. Of course, the spring exerts a force on the auto, thus, storing some of the energy in upward kinetic energy. When the auto then strikes a "down" bump, the energy stored in the spring can be recovered to push the wheels down; however, the larger mass of the car may still be rising? The point is that, unless you have tuned the spring and car to a particular road, you will run into some nasty vibration modes. Further, note that you needed to get back that stored energy in the springs. Bottom line, good auto rides really need dissipative spring action (damping) and, if your roads have lots of vibration, it's better to smooth them and save the energy that way.
  • manojvishnupriya
    manojvishnupriya
    BigOhm
    In general it is not practical to recover vibration energy. Consider, as an example, an auto travelling on a highway that has undulations of 0.1 m up and down about some mean elevation. When the auto hits one of the "up" bumps, some of that energy can be stored in a compressed spring. Of course, the spring exerts a force on the auto, thus, storing some of the energy in upward kinetic energy. When the auto then strikes a "down" bump, the energy stored in the spring can be recovered to push the wheels down; however, the larger mass of the car may still be rising? The point is that, unless you have tuned the spring and car to a particular road, you will run into some nasty vibration modes. Further, note that you needed to get back that stored energy in the springs. Bottom line, good auto rides really need dissipative spring action (damping) and, if your roads have lots of vibration, it's better to smooth them and save the energy that way.
    Oh I dont know to that extent. Its actually a funny idea. In our land KSRTC buses mainly gives high amount of vibration. Anyway thanks

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I've come across lot of very cool final year projects which could be very effective business ideas. Has anyone here thought of turning your final year project into a business...
HI CEans, I am Manoj kumar Doing B.Tech(final year) in Electronics and communication Now I feel😁 I joined CE because I think CE can do much more than my engg....
ZoneAlarm File Size: 32.38M License: Non-Commercial Freeware OS Support:Windows 2000/XP/2003 ZoneAlarm is an easy-to-use firewall that blocks hackers and other unknown threats. Intrusion Blocking systematically identifies hackers and blocks access...
A friend of mine sent me an article which I liked. I am reproducing the same for the benefit of others. Have you been to the bank? Imagine there is...
A friend of mine sent me an article which I liked. I am reproducing the same for the benefit of others. What is recession? -------------------- This Story is about a...