View Feed
group-icon
Coffee Room
Discuss anything here - everything that you wish to discuss with fellow engineers.
12913 Members
Join this group to post and comment.
kernel32
kernel32 • Dec 6, 2007

an idea about processing polychloroprene?

Hey CEans,

do you have any idea about how we are obtaining polychloroprene sheets for wet suits (or neoprene) after having made the polymer?
I have found a website that describe a little how to do it, https://www.aceraft.com/mediapg/medapg32.html

They said : "[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular] Neoprene is often referred to as 'rubber' but it is actually a plastic. It begins as a powder called polychloroprene. To this base are added other ingredients that provide elasticity, foaming agents, cell size, colour (usually black), adhesion, bulk, plus other properties. This mixture is made into a dough which is plopped into a heated press. Under pressure and heat the mixture squishes out to make a sheet about 90" by 53"."

but I would like to know a little bit more: not what is added, it's a secret, I understand, but which pressure, temperature, how lob does it take...

It's for a project I have to do in my engineering school. I still have to do a part on a process.

Can you help me?
Thanks
[/FONT]
kernel32
kernel32 • Dec 6, 2007
I would like to add: it's not spying, I just want to know what kind of reactions occurs in the heated press: is it a vulcanization? I want to be sure.
Moreover, I want to be sure it's really an emulsion polymerization that we do in industry.
Because I'm student it will be fine if I can add the name of somebody and the name of a company that helped me during my rapport, you probably know how teachers or professors like when you give some names, or greatings at the end of a rapport.

Share this content on your social channels -