Amplitude modulation Problem

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I am stuck with an Electronic Communication problem.

A 1000-kHz carrier is simultaneously modulated with 300-Hz, 800-Hz and 2-kHz audio sine waves. What will be the frequencies present in the output?

I don't need an exact answer. Just a pointer in the right direction would be hugely appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• RRITESH
    RRITESH
    Read this #-Link-Snipped-#

A 1000-kHz carrier is simultaneously modulated with 300-Hz
    As i remember the max side band freq will be Fmax= 1000+300 and Fmin = 1000-300
  • Sagar07
    Sagar07
    i think, if its amplitude modulation problem(as you say in the title), frequency of the output will be frequency of carrier itself which is 1000 Hz.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    ^^ Yes.

If amplitude is modulated, then there will be different amplitudes at various times in the output, but the frequency of the output will be the same as the carrier frequency.
  • Arnav Joshi
    Arnav Joshi
    Sagar07
    i think, if its amplitude modulation problem(as you say in the title), frequency of the output will be frequency of carrier itself which is 1000 Hz.
    silverscorpion
    ^^ Yes.

If amplitude is modulated, then there will be different amplitudes at various times in the output, but the frequency of the output will be the same as the carrier frequency.

I am afraid this is not correct. Amplitude modulation does not mean that the output frequency will be same as carrier frequency. Since carrier frequency is usually very large than signal frequency , the sidebands produced have frequency very near to that of carrier. What you say about the amplitude at different times is of right though.

Each sine wave applied at input of Amplitude Modulator will produce two side bands around the carrier. For instance the sine wave has frequency f[sub]1[/sub] and carrier has frequency f[sub]c[/sub]. Output will have the frequency f[sub]c[/sub] - f[sub]1[/sub] as well as f[sub]c[/sub] + f[sub]1[/sub] and if carrier is not suppressed f[sub]c[/sub] will also be present.

In this problem three sine waves are applied, each will produce two side bands.

Of course I am assuming standard AM. There are forms of AM in which carrier and/or one of the side bands may be suppressed.(Modulation Analog Modulation Methods)

As to why two side bands are produced ? Expand the AM signal cos(2pi f[sub]c[/sub]t )cos(2pi f[sub]1[/sub]t ) by the rule
    cos(A)cos(B) = 1/2( cos(A+B) + cos(A-B) )
  • Eng.Micah
    Eng.Micah
    frequency will be same for both output and input. the lower and upper side bands will bring the diffferent in amplitude.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The Entrepreneurship Summit 2012 aka E-Summit 2012 is annual flagship event of IIT Bombay conducted by student organization to sustain the entrepreneurial spirit among the youth. The theme of e-summit...
MindSpark is the annual Technical Festival of the College of Engineering, Pune. This year MindSpark will play host to 4 quizzes from27th- 29th December 2011. Specifics Below. For any additional...
The IITM Open Quiz The earth is no longer young, and Sachin no longer has the highest ODI score. The times are-a changing, but few things remain. Of them, none...
Xenith 2012 is a Technical Festival organized by St. Xavier's College, Mumbai. Xenith takes place on 9th and 10th of January 2012, is the brain child f the enthusiastic students...
MIT School Of Telecom Management, Pune (MITSOT) is organizing Teletech 2012 in January 2012. The theme for the conference is NTP 2011: Realizing the vision. The event aims to discuss...