Amazon RDS Vs EC2 Instance for Database - What'd you pick?

I'm looking at using RDS vs running database on a dedicated EC2 instance of Amazon AWS. While the RDS option looks promising the pricing is something on the north of what I'm willing to pay.

On the other hand, if I choose to run database on EC2, I'll have to take care of managing the instance on my own and also patching it, upgrading it and other administrative stuff.

I'm looking for advice from those who've worked with AWS. What's your experience with RDS and dedicated EC2 instance? What are the things to keep in mind?

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Does ur requirements involve only rdbms functionalities or will be expecting feeds from other systems to flow in to ur database as well.

Cos if the later I would go with EC2 instances as it allows u a better control of what u do with all the ports available.

Else go with RDS if u have plans on running one or more of their cool analytical tools that they have built in for u.

PS: if u r going with a MS SQL server in aws I would suggest u to go with azure as the 2015 and later versions of MS SQL come with huge free spaces in them
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - No, this would mostly be private database management. The only thing I'm going to need is ability to horizontally scale stuff. I'm beginnging with super small servers and add as need arises. I think with RDS that limitation no longer applies.

I'm considering AURORA and MariaDB. Which one would you recommend between these two?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    I have worked with Maria dB personally and kinda like the way clustering and scaling across servers work. I also liked the way they handled identity and auto increment values across their server instances. So if u decide to scale down in the later point of time Maria ensures that the primary key or id constraints are not throwing errors and give out seamless down scaling.

Aurora is a black box to me. So I can't comment on that.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello i am shivam recently perceiving my degree from sapkal college so i am working on project of night vision technology so guies i need your help to expand this...
The country's engineering dream is fading fast as nowadays lots of engineers are graduating without any job offers. So after their engineering degree students turn their heads towards a good...
Perhaps one of the nightmares of every student is 'How to write a Resume?'. Resume writing is the first step before you apply to any firm. Nowadays, some major companies...
Cheap Govt. colleges, a dream for many intelligent survivors, have limited but available seats. Lot of us when going through choosing-a-college phase meet a ludicrous truth. Special education is never...
Engineers to mimic the human spine in construction of resilient bridge pier