AM and FM in mobile phones.

Mobiles have FM as a feature to here FM radio. Here i hope this fm mode helps in hearing local news(inner state FM radio accessing) . but how abt AM ... How will AM help in hearning the news; is it that signal will cover long area so news of other states can also heared. ๐Ÿ˜›

Replies

• gohm
    gohm
    Reason being is AM radio has been phasing out for many years. Such a small group still listen to AM that electronic manufactures wouldn't cater to the feature. between the internet and satellite technology, you now can get information sent world-wide. Short wave and sideband are other older, though still used means.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    transmitting should not be a problem right Gohm?
    I suppose hobbist still do it, juts that bulk manufacturing doesnot happen for AM radios.

By the way engg4world , any specific reason for you to rewind back in time ๐Ÿ˜›
  • divyamoorthy89
    divyamoorthy89
    hi im doing my third yr elec & electronics eng..i need som project ideas..if u can mail to #-Link-Snipped-#ks
  • devendra_jntu
    devendra_jntu
    In am we are using carrier of frequency with in KHz range these frequecy signals are reflected from the ionosphere and covers large range where as in case of fm carrier frequency of order MHz those can be penetrated through ionosphere and covers small range.so while providing am band it should not be used by any one in world,but fm band can be used by one in the world by maintaining some distance between fm stations to avoid interference.......................๐Ÿ˜
  • arunhero99
    arunhero99
    Devendra, its refraction, not reflection for AM on the ionosphere. anyway, effect is same.
    And interference by noise is heavy for AM actually. any drop/variation in power of the signal can change the amplitude disrupting the whole data. Otherwise devendras explanation is apt.
    FM is line of sight (LOS) and AM is skywaves.AM is avoided nowadays as contolling the direction of refracted wave (directivity of fall) is too expensive and power consuming. Stary refractions can cause disruptions to local transmission.
  • engg4world
    engg4world
    Thanks i got it .......i will come up with much more in detail with some examples...i am trying to research on signals.

thanks very much once again.๐Ÿ˜€
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    well there are many form of transmitting signal these days apart from AM and Fm,although they are not as popular.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

want to know more about crankcase explosions? Go here
Want to know more about scavenge fires? Click here about fire safety in marine diesel engines - tips to prevent scavenge fires
i'm designing an autonomous robot,don't know which type of microcontroller is best for this purpose and i need to study on the field of sensor based circuits.plese advice me where...
Here trying to make my 1000th post auspicious in somewhat manner(can say copying Mayur Sir ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) Yes so its me Shalini Goel who hardly search for kind of stuff...
Hi, This is prateek, i am a final year student from computer science and engineering branch. I have cleared GATE'09 with 502 as score and 96.25%tile with 1573 rank. I...