ALUMINIUM 6061(T) VERSUS MILD STEEL

WHAT IS THE ADVANTAGES OF USING AL 6061(T) OVER MILD STEEL?

Replies

• N.Gowtham Raj
    N.Gowtham Raj
    Very low DENSITY (i.e.Very high Strength to Weight ratio).... Al 6061 density is 2.7g/cm3 which is the second lightest commercial metal next to magnesium(1.7 g/cm3).

High potential in Automobile & Aircraft applications, where weight is a critical factor.....
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    Non ferrous metals on the whole have certain properties that exceed those of steel. Non ferrous metals like Aluminium have:
    • High electrical and thermal conductivity
    • Strength at high temperatures
    • corrosion resistant
    • light weight
    • appearance
    • ease of fabrication
    Of all these the ones highlighted in blue are those which characterise Aluminium.
    As you can see its possesses many desirable properties. This makes Aluminium alloys the most used non ferrous metal.
    Adding to its already impressive resume, Aluminium can be recycled repeatedly without loss in quality.
    Aluminium is also 1/3 the weight of steel (at same volume).
    One disadvantage of Al is that it possesses a low modulus of elasticity, which means it will bend easily.
    BUT since aluminium can be easily fabricated, strenght can be added by designed the Al component with ribs and corrugations.
    It is also costly, but i understand that the cost can be recovered.
  • PRADIP CHAKRABORTY
    PRADIP CHAKRABORTY
    N.Gowtham Raj
    Very low DENSITY (i.e.Very high Strength to Weight ratio).... Al 6061 density is 2.7g/cm3 which is the second lightest commercial metal next to magnesium(1.7 g/cm3).

High potential in Automobile & Aircraft applications, where weight is a critical factor.....
    CAN IT BE SUITABLE FOR CARRYING LOAD?
  • N.Gowtham Raj
    N.Gowtham Raj
    Carrying load? Can you be more specific?
  • PRADIP CHAKRABORTY
    PRADIP CHAKRABORTY
    N.Gowtham Raj
    Carrying load? Can you be more specific?
    I MEAN CAN WE PUT A DEAD LOAD OF 5 KG ON A PLATE OF AL 6061(100 X 95 mm,5 mm THICK)?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

We engineers, crazy or otherwise, use maths all the time. There have been lot of discussion on Maths being infallible, exisiting as an absolute, unrelated to its routine use as...
This photoraph shows the line of Saturn's rings disrupting the Cassini spacecraft's view of the moons Tethys and Titan. https://www.saturntoday.com/news/viewsr.rss.html?pid=39574
CAN ANY BODY HAVE AN AUTO CAD DESIGN REGARDING 'RATCHET SPUR GEAR?'
Hi All, I am thinking of using mechanical power generated thru various Cardio equipment installed in my fitness center. There are a lot of cardio equipment such as - Treadmills,...
THESE ARE THE SOFTWARE REQUIREMENT OF PROJECT. PLEASE TELL WHICH SHOULD I HAVE TO INSTALL IN MY PC BEFORE RUNNING THE THE PROJECT. Operating System : Windows 95/98/2000/NT4.0. Technology :...