Alternative fuels for the internal combustion engine?

So I have transplanted a 2003 hyundai 2.7L v6 and 4speed auto transaxle into the back of a 1939 plymouth touring. Running gasoline is just far too passe. Ive debated running propane. Building a custom tank for under the hood, but again, thats too common. Alcohol is a possibillity, but still overly done. Perhaps a hydrogen/oxygen engine?

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• Gurjap
    Gurjap
    whatever you do, avoid hydrogen. The hydrogen embrittlement problem for metals is huge and will probably cause catastrophic failures one day.

try running it on coal dust, or gasified coal, or producer gas
    [took this from Wikipedia "2C + O2 + N2 → 2CO+N2
    The nitrogen in the air remains unchanged and dilutes the gas, giving it a very low calorific value. After "scrubbing", to remove tar, the gas may be used to power ...spark ignited engines (where 100% petrol fuel replacement is possible) or diesel internal combustion engines (where 40% - 15% of the original diesel fuel is still used to ignite the gas).]

Or use water-gas shift reaction to make CO and H2 from coal and steam. Or burn the coal partially, turn it into CO and run the engine on that. Crazy, yeah, but what the heck
  • veereshsg
    veereshsg
    There is a need to find an alternate fuel.
    I have tried HOME[Honge Oil Methyl Ester] in combination with Diesel. I got optimum results for 15% of HOME mixed with Diesel, without much change in the Mechanical efficiency and without modifying the engine.
    Honge Oil is a non edible oil. Give it a try.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

So far I know Gears provide better power transmisssion capabilities and there is no belt slip is with belt drives. What are some more pros and cons. High Torgue and...
https://www.crazyengineers.com/forum...wont-december-01-2011-anymore.html#post191699 I hope by now everyone has read about the announcement above. This is the official discussion thread about December 01, what do you expect to change & how excited...
I have been selected for IAF technical branch as a Flying Officer.I am not very patriotic or that kinda person.I just gave the exam simply.I am a computer science engineer...
Get the taste of the French culture at Supinfomania 2011’s French Evening. Enjoy performances from French Street Dancers and more! Venue: Activity Area DSK Supinfocom Manjri, Near Loni Toll Plaza...
Quote: Punkin Chunkin is the premier event for finding out who can throw and shoot a pumpkin the farthest – and the huge cannons powered by compressed air and built...