ALMA - World's Largest Telescope Starts Operations In Chile

Sky watchers rejoice - ALMA (Atacama Large Millimetre Array) the world's largest telescope has began operations in the Chilean deserts. Do not confuse this with the SKA aka the Square Kilometer Array - which is currently under construction. ALMA has the official badge of being the most powerful telescope on the Earth at present. Chile has been working on this project in association with USA (which has spent $500 million on the project) for the past 30 years to realise the ALMA project. The telescope began operations a few hours ago.
slide
Image: Rebeca Boyle​

This telescope comprises of 66 antennas working in sync to look deep into the dark skies. Nearly 50% of the light in the sky is millimeter-wavelength and lies between the radio and infrared spectrum. ALMA has been designed to capture this light and scientists and researchers look forward to amazing discoveries. All the 66 dishes move in perfect sync with each other to expand the overall observation area of the telescope. ALMA's angular resolution is almost equal to that of the Hubble telescope. We'll surely follow up updates on this telescope.

Another interesting project to follow is the SKA - which has been designed to be 50x more sensitive than ALMA. Stay tuned for updates!

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

can anyone tell me how to prepare a fuel cell.... and the working,,,,
I'm curious to know the difference between Tata Sky HD and Sky+HD set top boxes? I've looked at the official website but couldn't find a page that describes the exact...
hi, i have a project idea, but i don't know how to implement it.. so, please share your ideas.. my proj is: 2 desktop pcs are kept and 1 PC...
Heya Guys..!! I want to know , which are the software's used in EC engineering .>!! #Famoussoftware ..!!
I want to know how the loopback address is actually implemented? That is, when we use loopback address (127.0.0.1), does a software runs which virtually mimics the network, or the...