Allow user to add the new fields in the tables

Hi to all

How can we allow the user to add the new fields on the tables , with out do any application code change ? (meaning after they add the new field i don't want to change the application code to read that new fields)

How to achieve this?

Please help me

Thanks

Dilip

Replies

• dilipmathi
    dilipmathi
    Hi

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dilip
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    If you have a numeric read of fields, then your code itself is wrong... In case of PHP and MySQL, what I do is,
        $res mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `table`");
        while (
    $dat mysql_fetch_row($res))

// Display the rows.
    This way, it iterates through all the possible fields... 😀 Not just a set of fields you hard-coded... 😀
  • dilipmathi
    dilipmathi
    Hi

Thank you so much for your reply.

When the user adding the new fields changing the table structure is a good idea?

Or any other ways to achieve it?

Please help me

Thanks
    Changing the table structure is the WORST idea... BTW, what is your scenario, so that I can guide you... 😀
  • dilipmathi
    dilipmathi
    Hi

Thanks again for your reply

If let say we have an contact information table with the following fields (First name , Last name) . The user wants to add an new field called Address.

How to achieve the above scenario?

Thanks

Dilip
    Use joins... Have you heard of tags??? And BTW, for your particular query, I have sent you a link in your VM... How to use tags and stuff in database... 😀 Enjoy... 😀
  • dilipmathi
    dilipmathi
    I have sent you a link in your VM... How to use tags and stuff in database... 😀 Enjoy... 😀
    How can i find it?

Thanks
    Go to your profile... #-Link-Snipped-# And see the link.
  • dilipmathi
    dilipmathi
    Hi

Thank you much for your help. I got an idea to do that.

Can you please share your ideas on this thread?

#-Link-Snipped-#

Thanks in advance

Dilip
    Sure Dilip! 😀
    Dilip I posted there. Do check it out... And also, please read this excellent tutorial by GF... 😀
    #-Link-Snipped-# 😀
    I will be posting more information about CRM in my blog soon... 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Reviving the practice of using elements of popular music in classical composition, an approach that had been in hibernation in the United States during the 1960s, composer Philip Glass (born...
1. It is refreshing to read a book about our planet by an author who does not allow facts to be (i)__________ by politics: well aware of the political disputes...
Although it does contain some pioneering ideas, one would hardly characterize the work as __________. orthodox eccentric original trifling conventional innovative It was her view that the country's problems had...
MUMBAI: Even before this year's freshmen enter the Indian Institute of Technology-Delhi, some others will be pushed to pick up etiquette lessons required to live on the tech school campus....
As we know AWA section measures your ability to construct and evaluate arguments. Revised AWA is not much changed except that the time limit for issue essay will be 30...