All Android Devs - a bad news for you !

Android SDK is proprietary and not Opensource !
Find it "Fake" news ? Ok! Go to #-Link-Snipped-#
Now, select any of the file for download & instantly the "Terms & Conditions" window will pop.

Rule No.1 - No OpenSource software have "Terms & Conditions" crap. It runs only with GPLv 1.0/2.0/3.0 License which is pretty cute "Edit it - Change it - Tweak it - Share it -Improve it - But don't fucking sell it".(Much more conditions are included which are good IMO)
But in this Android SDK scenario it will say that "In Order to use this you gotta agree license terms, you can't use SDK if you ain't gonna accept the terms" - LAME ! (Previously it wasn't like this at all, Google is hideously updating the T&C)

This violates the very first rule of FSF or OpenSource.Seems like Google is no longer interested in keeping Android OpenSource anymore, they're moving to Proprietary.

Good thing is, SDK binaries are still available for free then what's purpose behind "proprietary license" ?

Replies

• Jasleen08
    Jasleen08
    Well, your claim may be right, but i dont think your justification is technically correct. For an Instance, if you consider widely used FOSS based Linux, you will come across Terms & Condition sort'o step while installing. And yeah, with a license too, GNU General Public License, a free software license.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Jasleen08
    Well, your claim may be right, but i dont think your justification is technically correct. For an Instance, if you consider widely used FOSS based Linux, you will come across Terms & Condition sort'o step while installing. And yeah, with a license too, GNU General Public License, a free software license.
    I was talking in layman's term.
    Now lets be technical -
    First of all Linux is under GPL v2.0 up licensed.
    FOSS's GPL v1.0 to GPL v3.0 are technically different.
    GPL all version are focused entirely on "Freedom rules" namingly Freedom0 to Freedomxx ,the t&c you see in v1.0 is not same as GPLv2.0 & v3.0
    As per FSF,A software under GPLv1.0 don't have any conditions,means you can get source code,you can do anything with it but ofc don't sell.
    Now,consider most complex license GNU GPLv2.0,the hottest linux distros are under it.You can find closed source & even open source in distros like ubuntu.If you're ubuntu user then you mightve noticed that you wont get unity source code.Canonical has also closed gui of root folder,you can use su root just using cli(terminal)[You cant access root folder using gui but cli,yes-with many root contents closed]

Now coming to your point,T&C are everywhere,my point is what Google's T&C of android sdk binaries is not Open source terms & conditions.While Google claims it to be OpenSource - the T&C says it's not.

One more thing,In google's T&C of Android sdk,it is strictly mentioned that "you cannot create another android sdk using the libs of Google's sdk"
    Well this breaks one of the Freedom rule of Opensource.

PS : More detail on the FSF Freedom Protocols are obtained in official website.Compare these,you'll be amazed how Google breaks the clauses.
    Again, every version of GPL i.e. 1.0 to 3.0 has massive changes 😀

This GPL license is extremely complex.
    When you start reading it from very beginning, confusion starts trolling your mind.

You'll even find some softwares & distros mixed license i.e. GPL 2.0 + GPL 3.0, GPL + Proprietary license are also there.In short,this is very complex.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I find this T&C complex.
    As per I understand we can use SDK to develop application and can sell those developed application.
    But,
    We can also change the source of android SDK itself for our use but can't sell that modified android SDK to third party. Right? or I am missing some part.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    ianoop
    I find this T&C complex.
    As per I understand we can use SDK to develop application and can sell those developed application.
    True that.

ianoop
    We can also change the source of android SDK itself for our use but can't sell that modified android SDK to third party. Right? or I am missing some part.
    As per GNU GPLv2 - No!
    why ? 'cuz modification of code makes it "copyleft" & copyleft(derivative of original source code) can't be sold.Also if Original code is under GPLv2 then copyleft must be same,you probably can't license it with other.
    eg : If your source code is GPLv2 & if i modify your code & develop an app,I cant license it with other like proprietary or GPLv3- It must be same.Plus I have to get permission from original author before I use his code.

According to new Android SDK T&C- No!
    According to new T&C,you can modify but can't even share/mirror for free(don't even think about selling)

Untill this it's okay.But,New Android SDK T&C have "proprietary license lines" like - "If you don't accept the license you won't be able to use sdk" - This violates Freedom0.

Many more "proprietary license lines" were collected by FSF EU blogger & posted in FSF's website 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

After release of Windows 8, most people complained about dual boot difficulties with Windows 8 & Linux OS. Well there is shortlist of Linux OS which will dual boot with...
Everyone once in life gets trolled. Apple Store in Germany gets trolled too 😛
Like I've said before too - Microsoft is good in marketing (They're god-like in marketing,no doubt) but when it comes to their work - they terribly suck! Not only that,just...
Opera Software, the company behind the most popular web browser for Android & iOS will be launching newly designed browser that will be running on Webkit is named as Opera...
Hay guys, Gate 2014 is to be revised to accommodate exponentially growing exam takers. Refer below link https://gate.examsavvy.com/2013/01/gate-no-more-an-engineering-test.html Comments please....