All about Engines...

Hello all,
I always used to wonder what engine is like.I basically didn't knew that an Engine may contain more than one piston cylinder arrangement.But its actually fun.
We normally just memorize the name by heart without thinking of its meaning.So let us take an effort to know what are different types of engines. There are also different types like Adiabati engine,Rotary engine,Wankel engines etc.
Engines are classified by following parameters:

1.Number of cylinders
there are generally 1,2,3,4,5,6,8,12 cylinder engines.It means that let say 4 cylinders are cascaded to form a one unit.Also known as 4 cylinder engine.

2.Arrangement of cylinders
The cylinders may be arranged in single line or in two rows.Half on both sides.So when you say V8 engine.It contains 4 cylinders each in 2 rows.When seen from front i.e; front view resembles English alphabet 'V'.Hence the name.

3.Arrangement of valve and valve trains
You may say these are the lungs of Engine.With the help of these air fuel mixture or simply air or 'whatever the engine is designed for' enters the engine.
There are several different arrangements of valve and valve trains.
a.Location of cam shaft
b.How the camshaft is driven
c.Types of valve train
d.Number of valves per cylinder

4.Type of cooling
This is a cooling arrangement.Basically a radiator arrangement.Ever seen a radiator? Yes you have.See any rolls royce on internet.On the front portion you will see net of black colour.that is actually the front portion of radiator.

5.Number of strokes per cycle (2 or 4)
The most powerful engine is 2 stroke engine.Because power is developed every alternate stroke.while for 4 stroke engine power is developed once in 4 strokes.
So a 2 stroke engine produces twice the power than a 4 stroke engine.

6.Type of fuel burned in that engine
Spark ignition engines usually burn gasoline or gasohol.It is a mixture of gasoline and alcohol.Some spark ignition engines especially in buses and trucks burn LPG or CNG.Diesel engines usually burn a light oil called diesel fuel.Flexible fuel vehicles can burn gasoline or alcohol blend fuels.

7.Method of ignition
In petrol engines the cycle used is Otto cycle.The air fuel mixture is first compressed and then spark is applied.
While in diesel engine diesel cycle is used.First only air is taken in and compressed and then a jet of diesel is applied 'igniting the air' in layman's terms.

8.Firing order
Firing order is sequence in which the cylinder deliver power strokes.Like in 4 cylinder engine the sequence is 1-2-4-3 or 1-3-4-2.It should be noted that all cylinders perform different processes at different times.When first cylinder is in power stroke other cylinder may be in suction while other is compression and remaining one in expansion stroke.This ensures uninterrupted generation of power.

9.Reciprocating or rotary
The engine may be reciprocating or rotary depending on what mechanisms are used.

What I tried to explain is a conventional system.Correct me if I am wrong anywhere.Those who are in their jobs may share their experiences with us.Because there is ample opportunity of innovation.

Replies

• narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    nice explanation ishu ๐Ÿ‘
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    @NM:Thanks.
    @ceans: I have tried to give you points now its for you to elaborate each point or add a new one.What say?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    That's a very well written article ishan.
    I hope mech engineers will agree. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    [โ€‹IMG]
  • vignesh sp
    vignesh sp
    @ishu:
    Good work ishu,
    But basically engines are classified into two types,๐Ÿ˜
    1. INTERNAL ENGINE,
    2. EXTERNAL ENGINE.
    U have mentioned the basic terms of an ic engine could u please tell me abt the EXTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE?
  • Vikram Rao
    Vikram Rao
    Source - Wikipedia

An external combustion engine (EC engine) is a heat engine where an (internal) working fluid is heated by combustion of an external source, through the engine wall or a heat exchanger. The fluid then, by expanding and acting on the mechanism of the engine produces motion and usable work.[1] The fluid is then cooled, compressed and reused (closed cycle), or (less commonly) dumped, and cool fluid pulled in (open cycle air engine).
    "Combustion" refers to burning fuel with an oxidizer, to supply the heat. Engines of similar (or even identical) configuration and operation may use a supply of heat from other sources such as nuclear, solar, geothermal or exothermic reactions not involving combustion; but are not then strictly classed as external combustion engines, but as external thermal engines.
    The working fluid can be a gas as in a Stirling engine, or steam as in a steam engine. The fluid can be of any composition; gas is by far the most common, although even single-phase liquid is sometimes used. In the case of the steam engine, or the Organic Rankine Cycle the fluid changes phases between liquid and gas.
  • Vikram Rao
    Vikram Rao
    1) According to firing method
    i) Internally fired
    ii) Externally fired

2) Type of ignition
    i) SI (Spark Ignition) (petrol)
    ii) CI (compression Ignition) (Diesel)

3) Number of Cylinders
    i) Single
    ii) Multiple

4) Arrangment of cylinders
    i) In-Line
    ii) V Engines
    iii) Rotary

5) Number of Strokes per cycle
    i) Two Stroke
    ii) Four Storke

6) Method Of Cooling
    i) Air Cooled
    ii) Water Cooled
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    AbraKaDabra
    That's a very well written article ishan.
    I hope mech engineers will agree. ๐Ÿ˜€
    @AKD: Thanks for support. I will keep writing. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    Nice article Ishan ๐Ÿ˜€
  • mech. royal
    mech. royal
    very agree with u good
  • mech. royal
    mech. royal
    very nice vikram.keep it upp

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Do you believe that CE is the KING OF ENGINEERING?
i am so happy to finally join crazyengineers..๐Ÿ˜
hello guys!..i hope Filipino CEans can reply to this post: Are you against or not to the reproductive health (RH) bill in the Philippines?why or why not? i would like...
An aspiring entrepreneur needed help on following questions. I thought a wider audience would benefit from our conversation through mail. I'm posting questions and my answers here - 1) How...
Hello everyone! Would anyone please give me ideas about forcing 64 bit jvm to run as 32-bit jvm? I need to write a jse desktop application for bluetooth connection. For...