Airconditioning anomaly

An air-conditioned classroom is maintained at 72◦F in the summer. The
students attend classes in shorts, sandals, and tee shirts and are quite comfortable.
In the same classroom during the winter, the same students wear wool slacks, longsleeve
shirts, and sweaters, and are equally comfortable with the room temperature
maintained at 75◦F. Assuming that humidity is not a factor, please explain this apparent
anomaly in “temperature comfort.”

Replies

• rahul69
    rahul69
    I think the reason is simple. As per my observation, human sense of temperature is relative in terms of hot and cold, So when a person enters a cold place wearing warm clothing, he will feel it even more colder and hence the warm clothing feels comfortable😁.
    Also the temperature which u mentioned (which is a little below room temperature), does not make any significant effect on human body. I guess if u sit in woolen dress in summer in this temperature u will be comfortable (of course only if u can be impartial in your mind about season)😉.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Interesting observation and question here. From what I guess - the body gets used to a temperature and tries to find its own comfort level. So throughout the year, the students have 'adopted' to the small temperature variation in the classroom.
  • Saugata
    Saugata
    I appreciate all your logic about the anomaly but I would be pleased to receive a more technical answer.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    The temperature for human comfort is exactly 25◦C.

The function of an air-conditioner is to maintain this comfort temperature, and not to heat or cool as the laymen may think.

so during summer, when the ambient temperature is quite high, the a/c reduces it to the psychrometric temperature.

and again during winter, when the ambient temperature drops down, the machine increases it to the psychrometric temperature.
  • kartik ns
    kartik ns
    the process of heat transfer takes place only when there is a temperature difference. let us assume that the body temperature is '98.6 degrees.if the surrounding temperature is 72 degrees then the heat transfer takes place from the body to the surroundings. the temperature is the mean of the two values.
    now in winters, the body temperature rises because the woolen clothes absorb energy. the cold air causes heat to flow quickly and your body temperature will drop. However, if the temperature outside was 98.6 degrees, no heat would flow and your body temperature would rise because of the heat you generate.We need to be surrounded by air that is cooler than our body temperature by just the right amount so that heat flows away from our bodies at the same rate we generate it.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello! I'm using Windows XP SP2. Heres my problem. My usb ports suddenly stopped working. just one day i went plugged in my flash D , it charged perfectly but...
Google recently lost one of their top executives, Marisa Mayer to Yahoo - which was once Google's top search rival. Things haven't been very good at Yahoo all through the...
This interesting question popped up when a CEan sent me a note in PM asking whether there was a way to share animated GIFs on Facebook Walls or other people's...
which technology is better in mobile communication? CDMA or GSM? why? why CDMA mobiles come with inbuilt SIM card?
I'm wondering whether it's possible to stream video via bluetooth between a laptop and say a mobile or another laptop? I know Wi-Fi would make the job easy, but we're...