Aircel Subscribers Can Now Browse Wikipedia For Free

Today Wikimedia Foundation in partnership with Aircel has announced the arrival of Wikipedia Zero in India. According to this initiative Aircel subscribers can now browse the mobile version of the site for free. This offer only takes into account the m.wikipedia.org and the text only zero.wikipedia.org sites only and mobile apps and the full desktop site are not included. Further this offer shall be limited to the prepaid subscribers and users have to use the native phone browser instead of third party ones like Opera or UC Browser. Also to make sure those subscribers of belonging to every dialect get the benefit of this offer not only the English site but also mobile version of 19 Indic language Wikipedia sites can also be viewed for free.

Wikipedia For Free

According to the press release, Aircel has started this service from today and will be providing free access for the next three years based on the agreement. Aircel has also been given the permission to put limits in the future if they see that customers start overusing this facility. Aircel subscribers should keep in mind that this service is only applicable in home circle and during roaming they have to dish out regular browsing charges. Even though Aircel has a market share of only 7% in India this service will be reaching out to 60 million people. This move will be surely appreciated by all and we hope that other mobile operators shall follow suit and provide this service owing the huge number of cellular subscribers in India who access internet on their mobile phones.

For further reading we recommend the following links: #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-# and the #-Link-Snipped-#.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Good move, Wiki folks! The fine line on the official page says the following-
    • This offer is only available for prepaid customers on Aircel network
    • This offer is not applicable for blackberry customers
    • Browsing charges apply as per tariff when accessed from 3rd party browsers like Opera, UC Browser
    • The offer is free of cost, however the user must have sufficient balance
    • Free access is only within validity of plan voucher subscribed by customer.
  • lovebox
    lovebox
    Good job by the Wikimedia Foundation and Aircel.
    It will enable a better access to knowledge, especially for the student comunity.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    At last, besides Fb, something is provided free which is beneficial for people..

A very good move..!!
  • mail154
    mail154
    A very nice move to a nice page 😀
  • Sanoj Rajan
    Sanoj Rajan
    When is CE going to follow the suit?? 😉

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I read some where that doing masters in Germany is subsidized that you don't have to pay tuition fees. Is that true ? Can you please share the procedure to...
It's been just a few hours since Google announced the next one in the 'Nexus' series and the Googlers in India have dedicated a separate page to the tablet. Check:...
I've often wondered why my Android does not have a native YouTube upload app. Looks like Nokia has beat Google in releasing a dedicated YouTube Upload app - that lets...
Hi..everyone..Im doing my final year project on location tracking using zigbee networks......Ok...this is my project..The zigbee module is connected to the computer and the zigbee module is connected to a...
I don't know whether it's hallucination or not, but I have noted that my Android device charges faster with Adapter than USB charging. So, I wonder is there any difference...