Air India flights to offer on-board Wi-Fi to passengers

First ever in India - the Air India aircrafts will offer on-board Wi-Fi Internet to all the passengers, for a fee. The Internet service will be offered throughout its narrow body and wide body fleet of aircrafts flying domestically as well as to international locations. Air India chairman, Mr. Rohit Nandan has setup a panel of experts comprising of the top officials from AI for the roll-out process. Thales of France, a leading company in the in-flight entertainment domain has been asked to make a presentation to the AI panel.

Thales Of France will install the hardware on the aircrafts and also provide for the necessary software. Nandan says that Air India wants to be the first company in Indian aviation to offer in-flight internet connectivity to passengers.

What do people think about AI offering on-board WiFi?

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I think the usage will be too less. If they were offering it for free, it was another issue altogether. For many business travelers, staying online will make hours in the air more productive!
    Why charge for WiFi in air? ๐Ÿ˜•
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It's going to be super productive! Imagine getting a presentation ready in a 3 hour flight or making sure that you get your excel spreadsheet up to date and also check your email on the go! - Everything will require net connectivity.

It's not going to be a cheaper service, for sure. I expect they'd charge about $10 flat for unlimited internet access; but limit the bandwidth to about 2 Mbps.
  • TheRajAryan
    TheRajAryan
    Charging for this is just stupid, if anything they should ask people to sign up when they first access the Wifi and have a limited bandwidth quota allotted to each passenger's account so people don't just simply start watching movies on board.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @#-Link-Snipped-# - They'll charge for the service anyway. Either including the cost in the total air-fare or separately on-board. I doubt they'll offer it free of cost.
  • TheRajAryan
    TheRajAryan
    @#-Link-Snipped-# I can probably understand charging for a long flight. But if I get on an airplane for a couple of hours and they charge me for on-board wifi, I am not going to pay for it. I rather just get my work done earlier.

Besides, it's the Internet. We all know Internet is a dirt cheap add-on for them.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Maruti Suzuki has already laid out its plans to launch 'Maruti Suzuki Celerio' in the 2014 Delhi Auto Expo in India. Celerio is the upcoming hatchback that aims to replace...
When last year the Korean manufacturer released LG Optimus G Pro in India, it was in direct competition with the Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Now we have the news that...
LG Electronics, one of the top consumer electronic brands in India has announced a new range of ACs that offer new features like 'Himalaya Cool' and 'Monsoon Comfort'. But to...
Intex Mobiles had launched a new mid-budget smartphone in India with the name 'Intex Aqua Curve'. Though the name suggests otherwise, Intex Aqua Curve isn't a flexible display smartphone like...
Hello Friends this is Basil working as software engineer .2+ experience in .NET technologies.I found Crazy Engineers very informative and thus i am now a CEan.๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘