ADVICE GPU AND CPU Integrity

Recently my Console XB-360 has come down with the RROD (Red Ring Of Death) and since it is not covered under microsoft Warrenty I will have to fix it. On the Internet they say the Thermal compound is one of the major problems in the console. I Need Advice if Rubbing Alcohol is a good way to clean the Old Thermal compound off THE GPU AND THE CPU. Another thing is how do I Know IF The GPU AND THE CPU ARE IN GOOD CONDITION. ONE More thing - - When i Reapply the acrylic Thermal Compound Does The Thermal Compound Have to Make Contact With The Heat Sink Directly Above Or Is There A Small Gap Inbetween. --ANY ANSWERS TO MY PROBLEM WOULD BE REALLY REALLY HELPFUL--😕

Replies

• Leo
    Leo
    Hi buddy, i don't know much about X-Box, sorry for that but i can explain how we really do it with our PC, i hope there might be no difference in CPU GPU settings inside box.

1.First of all you need to clean your previous termal compound, first of all scratch it a little, using a plastic or some smooth hard material. Next step is to completely remove it, for that you may need non-linty cloths or cotton buds(used for cleaning ears) and a cleaning solution(Isopropyl Alcohol or Acetone). If you want to buy a Isopropyl Alcohol just be careful to read containts since it must be al least 70% concerntrated or go for ArctiClean solution which are usually available in harware shops. Better watch for solution which is 100% oil free(important). Dip cotton buds in solution and clean it gentely until it cleans up compeletly, note to feel the surface of chip after cleaning, if it feels rough, clean it again. Do the same process on GPU but be more careful, because once you bend its pin it'll be of no use.

2.Choose a correct thermal paste for you, thermal paste are of four types Metal, Ceramic, Silicon and Exposy thermal paste.
    Metal Based pastes are good to use since they provide really good performance, their disadvantage is they conduct and die soon.
    Ceramic based are always good choice they don't die soon neither conduct.
    Silicon based usually never make to mark of above two to try at your own risk, advantage is greater life.
    Exposy are grease based paste, they stick permanently, performance is questionable, not recommended.

3.If you are novice applying a paste always go for Ceramic based, even we prefer it, if you applied metal based paste improperly then you may end up with dead circuits so don't use them. Apply paste without squeezing it out and put slowly drop by drop equal to a size of grain in centre, then make as much thin film of cooling paste as you can, usually people keep a very very little gap between and heat sink, but if you want to lap it then use a little more paste than usuall and be careful doing so, you must not spill it out of region, lapping it out(making contact) usually provides more performance if done with great precision.
    Note:While applying paste never touch the paste it may contaminate it, better use an old and cleaned ATM card, credit card visiting card of similar thing to apply it, don't use water, use your solution to clean them. Film must be as thin as possible, translucent the best. Be very very careful the applied paste must not spread, then mount heat sink, take care you mount it properly in first attempt otherwise you have to repeat all above steps again.

Please convey me anyhow the above information became helpful to you or not, if you need any futher help i'll be glad to help. Happy Computing.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    Wuebbs007
    Recently my Console XB-360 has come down with the RROD (Red Ring Of Death) and since it is not covered under microsoft Warrenty I will have to fix it. On the Internet they say the Thermal compound is one of the major problems in the console. I Need Advice if Rubbing Alcohol is a good way to clean the Old Thermal compound off THE GPU AND THE CPU. Another thing is how do I Know IF The GPU AND THE CPU ARE IN GOOD CONDITION. ONE More thing - - When i Reapply the acrylic Thermal Compound Does The Thermal Compound Have to Make Contact With The Heat Sink Directly Above Or Is There A Small Gap Inbetween. --ANY ANSWERS TO MY PROBLEM WOULD BE REALLY REALLY HELPFUL--😕
    to clean the old compound off, you may use any object(dry). Just scrub it off the surface. It wont be that difficult. Avoid using alcohol unless necessary. dry scrubbing will do most of the time.

and about the thermal paste application, the applied layer must be touching the heat sink but it should be a thin and even layer else the heat conduction may be improper. So make sure to spread the paste out evenly over the entire surface and it should be thin. More paste doesn't mean better, remember that!
  • Wuebbs007
    Wuebbs007
    Thank For The Advice. Oh by the way since your not familiar with the Xb-360 processor . . . i found out that a silicon based heat sink compound should NOT be used as a CPU paste; Runs The Moment it warms up. I Went with a 99% silver non conductive compound (Acrylic Silver 5 Thermal Compound) and it took many tries to figure how to bond the paste to CPU and GPU, but learned that the paste has to warm up to begin bonding to CPU; saw positive results in an hour. MANF says it takes 200 hrs to fully bond, and reduces temps by 2-12 Centigrade. FYI The xbox has many safety features that prevents startup if heatsink isnt secured to CPU or touching Thermal Compound, anyways, Thanks For Your Input I Greatyl Apprieciate it and THANKS. -WUEBBS007

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey guys, I'm a senior at a University of California, and I'm working on a wind turbine control system for my Senior Design Project. I'm pretty damn new to microcontrollers,...
Hi friends!! cat practical test 2010 is being conducted online in www.catiim.in. Do attend the online test.Hurry up soon!
Second International Conference on Advances in Computer Engineering – ACE 2011 Proc. Archived in IEEE Xplore Date of Function: July 27-28, 2011 The mission of the ACE 2011 International Conference...
Micromax has partnered with Israel Based Modu to bring the lightest touchphone in the world, called Modu T. The phone is available in India for Rs. 12,000. Few Details Here:...
Hello guys! everyone like something to do as a hobby..As i like to play and I also like to watch tv-shows and movies. Recently i have...