Adding A Drop-Down List For Engineering Trades In Profile

Hello CEans,

It has been suggested multiple times that we should have a drop-down list of engineering trades for selection during the registration.

I think it's a very good suggestion. However, once implemented, every member will have to manually update the field in their profile!

What say you? Shall we go ahead with this?

On another thought -

1. Shall we collect more information from our members? Like age, Work Experience, College Student, City, Skills etc. ?
2. Shall we make it optional or mandatory?

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Yes Collect more information will be helpful in organizing CE-Meet.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    You need to gather list of engineering streams as there are many users with very specialized engineering stream.

-CB
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We can always have a notice displayed at the bottom of the forum that if the trade is not listed, contact us 😀 . The real problem I see, is to have all our members update their engineering trades. It's possible to make it mandatory for everyone. List of engineering disciplines can be compiled easily.

I'll start performing trials soon.
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    The_Big_K
    Hello CEans,

1. Shall we collect more information from our members? Like age, Work Experience, College Student, City, Skills etc. ?
    2. Shall we make it optional or mandatory?
    At the time of registration, if these information are asked, it would be good. The only mandatory information now is the trade. According to me, the mandatory information should include and not be limited to the following-
    Age(with privacy settings), what is the present occupation(working or student. If working, how much experience(years and months). If studying, what is the degree(Be, BTech,MTech, ME, BSc, MSc.)),place, educational qualifications(this one should be thought over).
    Other information, like hobbies and interests, projects done, 'innovations, if any' etc. should be optional. I am still thinking if age should be mandatory or not.
    Thank you.
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    Yes i am totally agree as aj mentioned the point ,but somehow age should be optional as may be some of CE don't want to reveal their age,but fields such as work exp,qualifications should be mendotory as it will show the person's knowledge level and areas of specializations which will help us further and we can also include some additional qualification like someone has certifications(SCJP,ISTQB,CCNA) to know more about him/her.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Age is optional, I agree. I think we need to make some information mandatory like "Student Or Professional". What else can be made mandatory (apart from Engineering discipline)?
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    @Big_K, according to me, nothing else is not that required here. We do not want to make it an social networking site. Lets keep it professional by not asking too many questions.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We haven't collected any information from members until now. I'm thinking maybe we can collect some basic information at least, and make it completely optional.
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    If we make the points I said as mandatory, I think the people who register after filling those mandatory fields, will feel CE as a bit more important. We can do one thing, we can make it optional if the people want those options mandatory or not. I confused you, right? Please read carefully.
    Suppose, a new member registers himself with the basic information we ask right now. With the implementation of the new system, the first page the person sees is not the forum, it would be a page with a heading somewhat like this,
    "Kindly let us know more about you"
    Below that, give space for the "mandatory fields"(don't mark it as mandatory,important or anything). Then, at the bottom most part of the page, in a fashion that no one could notice it, put a small button saying(don't fill now., or ignore). Now, if the person succeeds to find out that button, hits it, and escapes the dilemma, then every time you log in,you see a small box, on the top, a rather eye catching reminder that you have left your profile incomplete. The box should have a hide option. If the user hits the hide button(ignores it) for a few times, say 3 times, then the user will no longer see the reminder. But the user can always fill it in the 'edit profile' part. How is this idea? Or is it just another stupidity from my hat?
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    The drop down list is required. In addition to the usual suspects, we could always have the "Others" option, where the user fills his engineering trade if it is not already listed.

Regarding the other information, I think Student/Working Professional field should be mandatory. Depending upon what the user chooses, he will have to fill out another field, namely work experience and highest academic qualification in case of a working professional and current academic program being pursued in case of a student.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This idea might be very effective in Indian context where it's easier for old people to get lost or forget their way to home. What I propose is, a small...
Hello everyone! i am aami,.. I am new to the forum. welcome to all here.,,, I know that forums are a good place to learn and interact with other people...
Is there any way to back up the data after logical crashing of HDD..
difference b/w orifice plate & elbow taps for flow control and measurement
I received following screen on Google: Had anyone of you faced this problem anytime in past? Google Sorry... We're sorry... ... but it appears your computer is sending automated requests....