Active low pass 2nd order sallen key Butterworth and Chebyshev filters: PLEASE HELP

Hi there guys. I am really stuck and need some major help. As part of something i have to do, one of the things i have to do is to design two filters.

Both have to be second order sallen key active low pass filters.

the first filter should have a Butterworth response and the second a chebyshev response. Both have to have a gain of 4 and both also have to have a cut off frequency of 1.5kHz. A capacitance of 0.1uF(100nF) is given. I have included a diagram at the end of this post that shows my filter setup. USING lm741

I first calculated the values and got the following:

Butterworth filter:
c1=100nF;
c2=200nf;
R1= 549.3 ohms
r2=1024.6 ohms
Rf= 6296 ohms
Rg=2098.6 ohms

I simulated above filter using TINA simulation packet and the bode plots were as expected. the gain of the circuit was equal to 4 and the cut-off freq was approximately 1.5kHz

CHEBYSHEV FILTER
c1=100nF;
c2=200nf;
R1= 760.66 ohms
r2=898.66 ohms
Rf= 6639.33 ohms
Rg=2213.33 ohms

I simulated above filter using TINA simulation packet and the bode plots were as expected. the gain of the circuit was equal to 4 and the cut-off freq was approximately 1.5kHz

THE PROBLEM STARTS HERE:

I then decided to build the circuit and test it. Because of component availibilty I used the following components. Using these components the circuit according to calculations is meant to give me a cut off frequency of 1.43Khz and retain the gain of 4.

Butterworth filter:
c1=100nF;
c2=200nf;
R1= 560ohms
r2=1 Kohms
Rf= 6296 ohms
Rg=2099 ohms

CHEBYSHEV FILTER
c1=100nF;
c2=180nf;
R1= 760 ohms
r2=898 ohms
Rf= 6639 ohms
Rg=2213 ohms

Both filters when tested have almost the same gain of 4 which is perfect. The problem comes with the cutt off frequency. They both almost have the same cut off frequency values, which is good. But the cut off frequency is sitting at somewhere between 30 and 40 Khz instead of at 1.43 Khz. Why????????/ Help me please. i have no idea what to do now. I was just using a sinewave of amplitude 1V as a input signal and the output is 4V till about 30Khz where it starts to drop.

[​IMG]

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

what is the difference between ac and dc resistance??? and why is there such a difference in both of them? i saw somewhere that ac resistance is 1.5 times dc...
Hi All Can someone please explain, to me, why there is a high current draw from the power-supply when DOL starting a 3-phase induction motor please? I understand that initially...
Those who come here looking for free lunch; take a look at the human tetris project developed by two undergrad students at Cornell University: Cornell University Undergrads Develop Human Tetris...
I want to bookmark certain threads for future references. Kindly help me out as i'm new to this forum.
can anyone exactly explain the concept of negative electric potential as i really dont get it practically,and will negative potential change direction of electron flow,thnx