Active Four Wheel Steering System

Project Abstract / Summary : Abstract-
Four-wheel steering is a serious effort on the part of automotive design engineers to provide near-neutral steering. Also in situations like low speed cornering, vehicle parking and driving in city conditions with heavy traffic in tight spaces, driving would be very difficult due to vehicle’s larger wheelbase and track width. Hence there is a requirement of a mechanism which result in less turning radius and it can be achieved by implementing four wheel steering mechanism instead of regular two wheel steering.

This paper focuses on a mechanically feasible & innovative design involving mechanically actuated active four wheel steering system. It consist of a self designed and customized steering gear box which changes the modes by judging the speed of the vehicle using governors. It has two racks , one for the front steering and other for steering the rear wheels. The concept is totally mechanical and does not use any kind of E.C.U. or hydraulic actuaters. We have made use of sophisticated software like CATIA for designing and dynamic analysis. This system finds application in off-highway vehicles such as forklifts, agricultural and construction equipment mining machinery also in Heavy Motor Vehicles. It is also useful in passenger cars .

Why did you choose to work on this project topic : This topic solves many cornering problems related to the vehicles such as Stability, Understeer, Oversteer etc. This idea could be a step forward for reducing the accidents on roads due improper turning or skidding.

Project Highlights : Our project is an innovation as many students have made this project before but we have tried to actuate the whole active four wheel steering system mechanically inspite of using any E.C.U. which we think is something new.
We have designed and simulated the whole system on CATIA.
It took around 2 months just to formulate this whole idea on paper and then we started with the calculation and designing work which in whole took 5 months to complete the project. We have worked hard for this project and we think this hardwork will count.

Project Category : Mechanical / Automobile / Aeronautical
------------------------------------------------------
Institute/College Name: JSS Academy Of Technical Education
City: Noida
State: Uttar Pradesh
Participating Team From: Final Year

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Name:Raja Janmejay Engineering Trade:Mechanical Engg. Location: Jaipur Occupation: Student 2nd year Hobbies & Interests:New inventions mostly in cars Aim in life: I want to Surprise the society and make them...
There are many hints on the cars from that we can have an idea about the technology used in that cars.i-vtech is one of them. more are as follows i...
Was reading through an opensource code and came across this #define implementation. Not able to understand this expression. does anyone know what it is? #define JSON_SYM_SKIP(sym) \ [sym] = 0...
Please help me to code on my own . how to start?
Project Abstract / Summary : This is a prototype for a modern driverless metro train equipped with eminent features like the automatic door opening and closing system to prevent overloading...