Access Hulu / Pandora / Netflix From India - Free

If you are located in India, you aren't granted access to services like Hulu, Pandora or Netflix. For example, if you access Hulu service, you'll be greeted with a message that says the library is only available for streaming in the US. The service currently works only on Desktop browsers and requires a special plugin available for Chrome and Firefox (links to the extension at the bottom of the article)

All you need is a regular browser with Flash installed. All the services mentioned above will need your browser to support Adobe Flash anyway, so you better get the extension from the official Adobe website. Once you're ready, head over to the MediaNet plugin and install it on your browser. Once installed, you're good to go! No configuration or extra code manipulation is required.

Once MediaNet extension is installed, access these web sites through your browser and they should work with charm, without any error messages presented to the user. My favorite service is the Pandora radio and even Hulu seems to work absolutely fine. Netflix is free only for a month and I'm not going to give it a try. But if you do, do share your experience.

MediaNet extension doesn't do any magic. It only alters the proxy server settings for your browser and makes sure that you're accessing the service from inside the United States.

Chrome Extension: Removed From Play Store.

Firefox Extension: Media Hint – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-US)

PS: I want to make a simpler disclaimer here. I'm aware that this may not be permitted; but I'm posting this with a benefit of doubt. The trick is already available on the Internet and it looks like most of these services allow accessing their sites through browser with different proxy settings.

Also, Chrome store has accepted the plugin - which might be a strong signal that its 'OK' to use this plugin. Enjoy the music!

Replies

• Kishan Gupta
    Kishan Gupta
    This extension has been removed from Chrome 😔.

When I click on the link it says item does not found.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Darn! That extension was brilliant. It now seems that it wasn't legal to use it and that's the reason it was removed from the play store. I'll remove the link. The firefox plugin is still available for those who want to download it.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

On the occasion of Diwali, Indian Government has launched the much awaited Aakash 2 tablet. The most amazing thing about this tablet is its price - students will get this...
Intel will shortly launch their "Next Unit of Computing," (or NUC for short) for do-it-yourselfers. This will be a bare bones, or rather bare board, computer. It is somewhat out...
I want an attractive and latest topic to publish a research paper related to computer science. Please suggest some ideas.
Sunita Williams, current ISS commander, took 'a small step for mankind' and a giant leap for the internet when she controlled a small Lego-branded robot at the ESA headquarters in...
Hi.. I am a new member to this. so forgive me for my mistakes.. Actually I have to submit a minor project in this semester, and i am a single...