Absorptive Silencers on Compressors

I have heard a myth, or rather somone just told me that putting silencers on the exhaust of machines like compressors can actually do damage to the compressor. Is that true at all? I am considering using one in my machine shop.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Is it not on the inlet that the silencer is put? The outlet is where the compressed air comes to the receiver/gadget using the air. There are D-I-Y designs available for inlet silencers. Even if one uses a silencer on the outlet, why should it damage the compressor? If this completely chokes, there could be a problem. A simple overpressure relief valve can solve this issue.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    Some people recommend putting silencer on both inlet and outlet. I know for a fact that most of the noise is at the inlet. DIY = Do It Yourself? Just confirming 😘
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    pneumatic circuits use what are called snubbers on th exhaust side to minimise noise. Any restriction on the exit of compressor will llead to power loss.
    You are right DIY is do it yourself. If you visit a site like Instructables and searchfor silencers, you will see a lot of low cost designs.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    Thanks!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi friends, I am presently doing my b.tech 2nd year and i want to know how the companies will hire there employers. So that it may be useful for my...
hey guys m doing diploma in computer technology a and just completed my 5th sem so i am looking for some project ideas in fields like java or in networking...
How many here are excited about Google's Graphing Calculator? I am. Guess I'll try the Batman Equations. :-D
Did not notice that everything on CE is loading faster? If yes, share your feedback with us through this thread. Remember - your feedback is important. Tell us what's loading...
CEans, Unfortunately, it's not your ISP that's doubled your Internet connection speed. If you're wondering why everything's loading faster on CE - then that's because of the recent server tweaks...