About Oil and Gas Instrumentation

Hi...Am working as a instrumentation engineer for Power & Cement Plant design/Detail engg. But i need to go to O&G field.What's diff. b/w power / o&g engg.what r the new instruments / standards / certificates come in to the o&g field.
😕

Replies

• misterjester
    misterjester
    Neela
    Hi...Am working as a instrumentation engineer for Power & Cement Plant design/Detail engg. But i need to go to O&G field.What's diff. b/w power / o&g engg.what r the new instruments / standards / certificates come in to the o&g field.
    😕
    The most important thing in the Oil and Gas industry is the Hazardous environment ... everything from the equipment to the personell should be certified for Hazardous Environments ...

Usually certification of TUV is provided .. its a european certification that grades products on what level of safety they would provide within each environment ..

for instance a wireless sensor within an Oil Field should not have radiation over a certain limit in which case it might cause a disruption in operation in another aspect ... so look for these certificates ..
  • Sakthi Venkatesh
    Sakthi Venkatesh
    what u told was correct, appart 4m the certification there is two main difference b/w the power plant and oil refinary
    First is the process which is vast big than the power plant. In power plant Economizer, Boiler drum, Turbine control will taken place, but in oil refinary Reformer, boiler, column,reactor, vessels, flare knock out drum compressors, exchangers, analysers, cooling tower etc... will be there, for all these proper control is necessary and hence the process is more complex, since the working fluid is all hydrocarbons pressure and temperature control is important.

Second is the piping material, u may ask piping is mechanical scope, when it comes to impulse piping (in power plant impulse tubing using 1/2" stainless steel tube is used) an instrumentation engineer should know piping
    in power plant Carbon steel pipe is used, but in oil sectors carbon steel, stainless steel, alloy steel of different grades from each materials are used separated by different service namely IBR, NACE, H2, NACE+H2 etc. each having different NDT techniques( in power plant IBR- Indian boiler regulation service is only there)

this will be useful for erection engineer

calibration, loop checking are same in power plant and in oil sectors

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

First of all good evening to every body. Actually i had downloaded Norton Internet Security 2010. but it is in Polish language. I don't understand polish and to operate that...
hey guys want urgent help in my prefinal year project!!! I want to make a project that is based upon the wireless message sending service through microcontroller. I will interface...
What is Proto.in? Proto.in is India's biggest start-up ecosystem gathering. The best of Indian startups showcase their offerings to angel investors, venture capitalists, industry leaders and the media. Proto.in brings...
I'm doing my final year electrical engineering. I want to start a small scale industry after my graduation.what are the major things to be concentrated? I'm looking for various innovative...
Sir / madam, My question is Find the output for the following code void main() { int i=7; printf("%d",i++*i++); } Advance Thanks, R.Rengaraj {Java Certification Quiz} {On this forum my...