about mechanical force

what is easier to pull a stationary thing or to push it? whereas the ideal conditions are considered such as friction is same for both.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    You are right that the friction forces are same. So it should not matter whether you push or pull provided the force is applied parallel to the surface on which the object rests.
    However, usually pushing involves a downward direction, which adds to the force. Pulling is rather upward, which involves a reduction in apparent weight. So pulling FEELS easier.
    What should be done is to resolve the forces at the point of application and find out the force parallel to the surface.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey guys, I just had an idea of creating 'Meet the Staff' pages on our community. Something similar to what they have done here - https://urbanfantastic.com/pages/benaaronovitch/ Do you think it...
An interesting take on leadership and how we can be leaders on a day to day basis.
have you heard of nosql databses? i recently come to know this term .Its without any schema/table .and i want to know the current trends of nosql databases in terms...
I've this new thought popping up in my mind since last few months. What's bothering me is the number of new deadly diseases, viruses that have been discovered in the...
Samsung Galaxy Mini 2 has been leaked; and this time it's leaked just ahead of the mobile world congress. Samsung Galaxy Mini is actually 'mini' in everything - right from...