Aakash Tablet Ain't Dying - Says Kapil Sibal

Aakash tablet - India's low cost tablet is not dying and in fact it's 'alive and kicking', says Mr. Kapil Sibal who heads Indian government's IT & Telecom ministry. He even added that the work is already a full swing work in progress and the Aakash III and even Aakash IV tablets are being worked on. Sibal was addressing questions asked by reporters at the National Editors Conference. It's only been a few hours since To Aakash Or Not To Aakash - That Is The Question the news that another minister, Mr. MM Pallam Raju (HRD ministry) put a question mark on the future of the tablet.

We'd however take the 'clarification' from Sibal with a pinch of salt. Afterall, declaring the death of Aakash tablet may not be the right thing to do for him. Aakash project was Sibal's brainchild and the aim of the project was to put a tablet in each student's hands at a subsidised rate.

slide

We also reported that Canada based Datawind, the company with the contract to design, manufacture and supply the tablets to the government by March 31 is likely to miss the deadline. IIT Bombay, which is governing the entire project was already thinking of taking a legal action against the company if it failed to deliver within the deadline. Sibal said that the matter is now with 'them' (between HRD ministry & Datawind) and it had nothing to do with him.

Aakash III tablet is currently being developed and the specs were recently leaked. Read our scoop on the Aakash 3 Specs & Features Don't Make It "Remarkably Different". Do you think the ministers are just throwing the finger-pointing game?

Via: Low-cost computing device Aakash is alive and kicking: Kapil Sibal - The Economic Times

Replies

• Gurjap
    Gurjap
    What is it the journos say? "Never believe a rumor until it is officially denied." But the idea was pretty good, and Sibal was probably sincere. Beagle Boards and Raspberry Pis exist already, though.. I wonder why MHRD didn't do a tie-up with them.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

As the world moves towards big data storage, the engineers, physicists and scientists are faced with a new challenge - developing new data storage mechanisms. A team of researchers at...
i want to know about EBIZ ..how we can earn money from this?how it will work.. please can anyone help me i in this ragard this
please provide latest paper presentations for mechanical engineer.
i want to make project on Home automation system with GSM .If we are used Reed sensor then A/D converter is required?
can anyone help me how to construct the thermocouple?