Aakash 2 Tablet Price In India Is Just $21

Aakash 2 tablet price is estimated to be about $21 in India which is approximately ~ Rs. 1130. Aakash 2 is an upgraded device over the original Aakash that was launched a few months ago and it set the markets ablaze with over 100,000 orders a day! The Government Of India and the Human Resources Development Ministry (HRD) made it to the front pages of most of the popular newspapers worldwide.

UK based DataWind will manufacture the Aakash 2 tablets for over 20,000 Indian colleges and over 400 Universities. The company will also retail the tablet for about Rs. 3200. We've seen the fights between the IITs, Government and DataWind regarding the testing of the tablets. IIT Rajasthan was the institute that designed the tablet; however it didn't appeal to the hardware reviewers.

Aakash-2

The Aakash 2 tablet specs aren't impressive given the current standard of the tablets. The tablet offers 7" LCD screen, 256 MB RAM and 4 GB of in-built storage. There's a memory card slot so that you can extend the overall storage capacity. Aakash 2 will be powered by 800MHz Cortex A8 processor. DataWind plans to offer two versions of the tablet. One will be with Wi-Fi only and the other will be WiFi+SIM card slot. The firmware however will remain the Android 2.3 Gingerbread. The hardware is not capable of supporting the latest version of Android ICS, the Jelly Bean support is out of question.

Given the falling prices of 3G data plans in India, the 3G adoption is growing at a rapid rate. Mass availability of Aakash 2 tablet will accelerate it further.

The testing of Aakash 2 tablet will be carried out by IIT-Bombay and over 10k unites have been shipped to the institute for testing and evaluation.

The hopes are high from Aakash 2, but it would be interesting to find out whether the tablet can really deliver what the government promised. Aakash original tablet did not support the Google Play store and we're yet to have our hands on. If you order Aakash 2, do share your views and reviews with us.

Replies

• [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    I would better buy an Ainol Novo Elf II for 6K. Offers dual core A9, 2x Mali 400 GPU, 1GB RAM, USB OTG, 5 point capacitive touch. I am sure Aakash have resistive touch screen. If government buy it in bulk, I am sure they can get it for like 2K/piece (yeah its Chinese, but pretty reliable).

We won't be able to do anything significant in electronics until we're able to manufacture it here. Unfortunately, our reach in India is just till designing.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Just read that the Galaxy Note II will feature an even bigger screen. I wonder whether the Note's screen size should grow. The Note itself looks quite big in hands.
i want to trace my wife having mobile number my business in delhi and my wife lives in mahenderagarh (haryana)
Hello ppl!!! I am in a hurry in finalizing my project.... Can u tell me if "Vehicle accident alerts to nearby hospitals and fire stations" is a good choice... Please...
The dual SIM smartphone, HTC Desire VC is now available in India with a price tag of Rs. 21999. The phone supports both GSM and CDMA networks making it one...
This is Dinesh N, I complete my BE(Electrical & Electronics Engineering) at KSR College of Enginering in the year 2012.My hobbies are reading novels and solving SUDOKU and finally I...