A rather different breed

Saw a lot of posts in the books section. Heartening to see that in this technical world people are still found of reading.
I am a voracious reader. A book addict. If there is a book in front of me, i have to read it, no matter what it contains. But the books which i prefer and love most are Classical Novels. Charles Dickens, HG Wells, Shakespeare, Jules Verne, Leo Tolstoy, Thomas Hardy, Alexandre Dumas, Rudyard Kipling, Sir Walter Scott,.....and many more.
I would like people who share my interest of these classics to come forward and pen down feelings in the thread that i have started. 😁

Replies

• gohm
    gohm
    Some of my favorite authors are: Charles Bukowski, Richard Brautigan, Tom Robbins, Tulsi Das, Shakespeare among others. I still prefer print media over electronic
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Tulsi Das??? Did i read correct??? So you understand Sanskrit or hindi or both???
  • gohm
    gohm
    I know a lot of Sanskrit, only a little Hindi/Bengali. I'm a Vaisnava/bhakti yoga so that is how I come to know Sanskrit through texts, bhajans and mantras. My wife has taught me a little Hindi/Bengali and of course there are the films!
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    What does Vaisnava/bhakti yoga mean?? I thaught you said your family name is John. How do you know these Indian languages??? Its strange, I live in India and don't know so many Indian languages.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    There is a famous Urdu/Punjabi poem "Sarfaroshi Ki Tamanna". Posting it's translation in English
    "Desire To Sacrifice"
    The desire for sacrifice is now in our hearts
    Let us see what strength there is in the arms of our executioner

Why do you remain silent thus?
    Whoever I see, is gathered quiet so...
    O martyr of country, of nation, I submit myself to thee
    For yet even the enemy speaks of thy courage
    The desire for struggle is in our hearts...

When the time comes, we shall show thee, O heaven
    For why should we tell thee now, what lurks in our hearts?
    We have been dragged to service, by the hope of blood, of vengeance
    Yea, by our love for nation divine, we go to the streets of the enemy

Armed does the enemy sit, ready to open fire
    Ready too are we, our bosoms thrust out to him
    With blood we shall play Holi, if our nation need us

No sword can sever hands that have the heat of battle within,
    No threat can bow heads that have risen so...
    Yea, for in our insides has risen a flame,
    and the desire for struggle is in our hearts...

Set we out from our homes, our heads shrouded with cloth,
    Taking our lives in our hands, do we march so...
    In our assembly of death, life is now but a guest
    Stands the enemy in the gallows thus, asking,
    Does anyone wish to bear testimony?...
    With a host of storms in our heart, and with revolution in our breath,
    We shall knock the enemy cold, and no one shall stop us...

What is that body that does not have hot blood in it,
    How can a person conquer a Typhoon while sitting in a boat near the shore.
    The desire for struggle is in our hearts,
    We shall now see what strength there is in the boughs of the enemy.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Sarfaroshi literally means: Cutting ones own head in sacrifice to someone. In the poems context that someone is the Nation. The meaning of the title therefore is that you desire to cut your head and place it on the feet of the nation in sacrifice. This poem was written during India's struggle for independence against thee British rule.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Patty,

A Vaisnava is a follower of Sri Krsna. Bhakti yoga is the form of practice vaisnavas use that believes in having a close, loving & personal relationship with God. I study the Gita & Ramayana, chant & sing bhajans in addition to performing arti & puja. I also like to recite the Hanuman chaleesa daily. I mostly practice at home but do occassionally visit a temple. Yes, my first name is John and my family is of german decent here in the US. :smile: Lol, I have been fascinated with the culture for a long time. Increased when I became a vegetarian & started following Krishna. I got a lot of double-takes when I was in India wearing a kurta & dhoti, laugh! I was center-stage of the village I was in, it was a lot of fun. My wife is from Mumbai.

That is a great poem! I love poetry as well, I used to write a lot and even had some published in a small book as well as magazines once in awhile.

raj87verma88
    What does Vaisnava/bhakti yoga mean?? I thaught you said your family name is John. How do you know these Indian languages??? Its strange, I live in India and don't know so many Indian languages.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Are there any fans of old classic movies(any language) here. I am a big fan and would love to hear from others who share the same interest. Keep Posting 😁
Hi Guys, I thought you may be interested in learning about forex trading... Forex Trading eBook Titles: - Forex for n00bs - Forex Trading Basics - Advanced Forex Trading Ideas...
i have to design a 2 stage reduction gearbox. helical gear to be used in the first stage and spur to be used in the second stage.... i need names...
hi, im an electronics and communication engineer...i have completed my graduation and due to my low percent (lower a bit than 60)..i do not compete through campus...now i need sm...
hey guys..help me out. i'm a mechanical engineering student using linux(ubuntu 7.10) and i need to install a 3-D modeling software. please suggest a good open source software. also, i...