a problem in windows XP

i have four partitions, c😔40gb), d😔150gb), e😔60gb) and f😔50gb). the problem is that my window is installed in c: drive, but when i boot the windows xp cd for a fresh installation, it shows my c: directory with 150 gb, and d: directory with 50 gb, and prompts me if i want to repair my previous version of xp, which it shows in d: directory........... what may be the possible reason for this??????

Replies

• optimystix
    optimystix
    did u previously install linux on ur system ? it seems your mbr is corrupt. try restoring it
    go to recovery console and type fixmbr
  • makru921
    makru921
    It could be a problem with your MBR (Master Boot Record - Master Boot Record), as optimystix had suggested. fixmbr is an option. However, you could try going into disk management (right clik on My Computer, and click on 'Manage') to see the exact sizes of the partitions and know the primary partition, just to double check.
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    a tedious work to do, i guess...................... even that 8 mb small partition which window leaves itself is being shown at the top, instead of the last............ i have lot of data in d: drive, so can't take the risk of formatting also.................. please give the step by step procedure to correct the mbr.......... thanks in advance.........
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    and i never installed linux on my system...................................
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    hmmm... It does look like a spoilt MBR. Just fix it and see if it works. else we could try other methods.
    boot with your windows cd.
    let it load files .. I think it is then that it will ask u for the following screen
    [​IMG]
    press R
    once inside it will ask u to select the windows installation.
    usually C drive. (check whether it says usual C or D in ur case). Select the correct one.
    Enter Admin pass when asked.
    now type fixmbr
    and then restart

I expect it to show partitions correctly now but cant guarantee as fixmbr may not always work as desired. But will work most of the time. Just try it and tell us if its working.
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    thanks a lot optimystix, but now my hard disk has crashed, i guess......... pc is not starting up if i connect that hard drive............... help!!!!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi All, A Very good morning to all. Few years back i have read this book named " who moved my cheese". I got a soft version of this in...
I'm looking for suggestions and reviews of the best USB Pen Drives available in India under Rs. 500. I'm interested in devices with larger capacity and higher read-write speeds. Suggest...
can anyone please send a program to find out the determinant of a matrix of n order?????
Nurture Talent Academy, India's 1st training institute for entrepreneurs, aims to support budding entrepreneurs right from the beginning of their ventures. It has conducted 40 workshops for 670 startups across...
hello people! can anyone tell me where i can get a kinetic micro generator..which converts kinetic energy into electrical energy. i am living in chennai. thanks with regards abhimanyu