'A picture speaks better than 1000 words' - Agree or not?

I've been into blogging for quite sometime, and if it isn't anything technical, the subject/story gets more difficult to create (specially if you are doing it on your own) and you also have to deal with lots of time spent on editing the text and thinking of catchy lines to impress. However, the simple Facebook post seems to capture more attention even with just a hand full of words. Even if you plan on sharing your content with your friends, very few people get the time to read these days and the first thing which would possibly catch their attention - thus tempting/not tempting them to read the post would be - the picture.

So does 'A picture speak better than 1000 words?" even today or would you still rely heavily on written media???

Would you prefer watching a movie or reading the book instead?

As engineers, would you get the time to read? Or sometimes even the patience?

Discuss!

Replies

• Sunil Singh
    Sunil Singh
    This seems to a diplomatic topic. however, it is not always true that a picture can describe the sole idea of the context as it mostly depends on the artist- meaning the skill that he has got to convey his messages through images, also the content or logic the picture is trying to describe- its depth, and the interest of the viewer. All these factors considered together gives the answer as whether the picture is capable of conveying the thoughts or feelings it is meant for. Whereas when you consider "can 1000 words express your emotion or an idea better than a picture"- it by far depends on the writing skills, the audience that the writer is trying to attract, way of writing - meaning simple as to any reader can easily understand the hidden meaning of the context or being a verbose, using words which forces the reader to either use a dictionary or just skip through your article. So my take on this topic is that not always a picture is better than 1000 words to express one's emotions or idea.

Would you prefer watching a movie or reading the book instead? -
    well my answer being a movie freak is watch a movie.

As engineers, would you get the time to read? Or sometimes even the patience? -
    Engineers are already burdened with so much of syllabus to read that reading books other than the course content hardly attracts their attention (not in general). As in my case we've got an exams every alternate month so to spend some leisure time, I prefer watching movies as simple as that.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Sunil Singh
    This seems to a diplomatic topic. however, it is not always true that a picture can describe the sole idea of the context as it mostly depends on the artist- meaning the skill that he has got to convey his messages through images, also the content or logic the picture is trying to describe- its depth, and the interest of the viewer. All these factors considered together gives the answer as whether the picture is capable of conveying the thoughts or feelings it is meant for. Whereas when you consider "can 1000 words express your emotion or an idea better than a picture"- it by far depends on the writing skills, the audience that the writer is trying to attract, way of writing - meaning simple as to any reader can easily understand the hidden meaning of the context or being a verbose, using words which forces the reader to either use a dictionary or just skip through your article. So my take on this topic is that not always a picture is better than 1000 words to express one's emotions or idea.
    You can call a modern picture as one which will have a few words written over it.[​IMG]
    Eg: [​IMG]pictures with quotes, or one liners that easily convey

Engineers are already burdened with so much of syllabus to read that reading books other than the course content hardly attracts their attention (not in general). As in my case we've got an exams every alternate month so to spend some leisure time, I prefer watching movies as simple as that.
    I was referring to working engineers as well, not just engineering students.
  • Sunil Singh
    Sunil Singh
    Anoop Mathew
    You can call a modern picture as one which will have a few words written over it.[​IMG]
    Eg: [​IMG]pictures with quotes, or one liners that easily convey

I was referring to working engineers as well, not just engineering students.
    In case of working engineers, reading novels, books, magazines would depend on their job profile, time management skills, interests, job timings. Whereas if we consider engineers employed in private sector, I personally feel that the employees are most of the times over-burdened with everyday tasks, meet weekly or monthly targets, maintain consistency in their performance, and try their best to fulfill the expectations of the superiors and the most important responsibilities of their family. Hence under such circumstances they can hardly take time out for reading. However there are people who apart from all such constraints get time to do everything like reading, maintaining social relationships etc. So to some extent it depends on the abilities of people to do things differently, making judicious use of time as everyone of us have got just 24 hrs. While in case engineers in PSUs, they do get enough spare time and then it entirely depends on how they use it, whether read books or watch movies , enjoy with friends etc.
  • Mrinmoy Swarnakar
    Mrinmoy Swarnakar
    Reading articles or novels totally depend on the readers time and interest, If a reader loves to read then he/she will read a novel instead of watching a movie, but most of us like to read the summery instead of reading the whole thing. That's why more people prefer reading fb posts.

And images are a good way to say what's in your mind in short, but it can't replace 1000 words meaning
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    When man evolves his sense of abstraction, words become more powerful than any physical representation. In fact, some concepts have no physical representation eg philosophy. hence we must move beyond pictures to evolve - unless one wants to continue at the mental state of a kid.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Energies from fusion reactions is one thing that is capable of changing the world. Recent reports suggest that scientists working towards this aim might have got a bit closer to...
Guys, after read the post about robots to help humans under debris in our CE. There is one more incident striking in my mind. There are several same accident happened...
Since the launch of Windows phones, people have been skeptical about buying it. But, if a new report is to be believed Windows users will be able to run Android...
Panasonic India has come up with two new feature phones in India. Launched at dirt cheap prices of Rs. 1,790 and Rs. 1,350 respectively, the EZ240 and EZ180 feature phones...
Renault has launched a 100 PS RxL variant of its Renault Duster in India today at a price of Rs. 12.18 Lakh. Called the Renault Duster Adventure, we got a...