a fundamental question on basic electricity flow

hey Friends i am very new here.its my 1st question over here...let me first give my short introduction..i am piyush , an electronics and communication third year student..
today i got a fundamental question related to electricity flow after watching a movie named "3 idiots" ..its a nice bollywood movie based on three engineering student..i'll tell u later..that from where that question emerged in my mind..sorry sorry...let me come to the question..well can anybody tell me if we provide a high potential(i.e current) to a water stream.(assume water falling from a tap)...flowing..opposite to the direction of current flow....will the magnitude of current will decrease or increase??..because if the direction of water flow is opposite to the direction of potential we applied..that is in opposite direction of current...its quite obvious that every particle including charge carriers..flow opposite in current's direction...so will that effect the magnitude of the net current flowing through it??because conventionally current flows when positive charges flow in that direction....if we consider electrons flow..i.e in opposite in cuttent..then ..i guess current should increase..is that my correct?

Replies

• reachrkata
    reachrkata
    Hmm. I think you would not see any appreciable difference. The speed of electron flow is so fast compared to the speed of water flow that there would be no difference.

Perhaps theoretical calculations may give some nA or pA of difference !!

-Karthik
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Lol. Piyush, some smart thinking there πŸ˜€
    But I have to agree with reachrkata here, the difference would be negligible.

Although by your reasoning, we should be able to create a higher current if the rate of flow of the medium is faster. Is that a potential energy source there?
  • piyushh
    piyushh
    thank you reachrkata#-Link-Snipped-# and kidakaka...i agree wit your answer ..but again there is a question..that ..because if we will assume the current as the flow of positive charge then it will decrease its magnitude..but if we take the current flow as flow of electrons in opposite direction then it will increase it....the net current will increase or decrease?.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Piyush: Isn't the flow of electrons and flow of positive charge one and the same thing? Just that they happen in opposite directions.

Going to the basics, a positive charge is absence of electron (negative charge). Electricity is the flow of electrons; positive charge is taken into consideration to make the understanding easier (I guess πŸ˜‰ ).
  • piyushh
    piyushh
    ya ya agree ..its only convention....but sorry may be you didnt get my question...but here the current flow is through the water floweing in opposite direction....actually if we consider electrons..then the water flow direction will support the flow of matter particles which consist of electrons also..finally current will increase...quite obviousπŸ˜•..but if we consider positive charge then the flow of water will be against the flow positive charge then the net flow of +ve charge is less in direction of current and ofcourse the magnitude of current will be less..so what should we consider..if i am wrong ten please help me ..where?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    piyushh
    ya ya agree ..its only convention....but sorry may be you didnt get my question...but here the current flow is through the water floweing in opposite direction....actually if we consider electrons..then the water flow direction will support the flow of matter particles which consist of electrons also..finally current will increase...quite obviousπŸ˜•..but if we consider positive charge then the flow of water will be against the flow positive charge then the net flow of +ve charge is less in direction of current and ofcourse the magnitude of current will be less..so what should we consider..if i am wrong ten please help me ..where?
    I did understand your question, Piyush. I'm only saying that positive charge is just the absence of electron (that is, negative charge). Positive charge is said to move in one direction when electrons flow in the opposite direction.
  • piyushh
    piyushh
    ok never mind
    so according to that we must consider only electrons?..means the current must sligtly increase?.ya your answer is satisfacrory sir if we consider electrons...coz +ve charge is only absence of charge...thank you
  • jerryoutspoken
    jerryoutspoken
    firstly, the bulb takes same time to glow whether the wire be 10 metre or 1000 metre ..this means, it's not the speed of electrons that matters but what happens is that the eletrons starts moving at every point of wire where there is potential difference..and hence it takes same time for letting the bulb to glow i.e for 10 metres or 1000 metres .......

secondly,the current flows only due to flow of electrons ...it's only the conventional current whose direction is opposite to it.

In a similar analogy there will not be any difference in the current magnitude in case of the question regarding "the three idiots"😁
    😎😁😁
  • piyushh
    piyushh
    i guess..there will be some time difference jerry ,if the wire length is different....i have one example..the CMOS circuits fabricated on a single wafer..are much more faster then that of discrete circuit..on pcb..due to the fact that there are no large interconnecting wires in IC(integrated circuit) or single wafer...its the fact that proves the wire length does matter in terms of speed..or say in terms of time delay..and ofcource..it does matters in case of ur bulb..as well for my question..
  • piyushh
    piyushh
    jerryoutspoken
    firstly, the bulb takes same time to glow whether the wire be 10 metre or 1000 metre ..this means, it's not the speed of electrons that matters but what happens is that the eletrons starts moving at every point of wire where there is potential difference..and hence it takes same time for letting the bulb to glow i.e for 10 metres or 1000 metres .......

secondly,the current flows only due to flow of electrons ...it's only the conventional current whose direction is opposite to it.

In a similar analogy there will not be any difference in the current magnitude in case of the question regarding "the three idiots"😁
    😎😁😁
    πŸ˜€well...jerry 1st better watch d movie..and i think nobody have seen the electrons..ever..its quite obvious..that the property of electricity had favoured the existance of electrons...rather u can take +ve charge flow..for your convenience....as far as three idiots are concerned..its the movie based on the reality of three extra brilliant engineering students..from the book "5 points someone" of Mr Chetan Bhagat

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello everybody 😁 I would be appearing in GATE 2011.Currently I am in my 3rd year of B.tech and I wish to start preparing for GATE now.I have decided to...
I am in 2nd year of elcetrical engineering in nit durgapur.I am looking for summer training in IITs in this year.please help me informing about scope and procedure to apply....
Hi everyone , nice to see you all Engineering Trade: CS Location: Bangaluru Occupation: Student Hobbies & Interests: Gaming , Gymming , Net surfing , listening to music , football...
Sir / Madam, My questions is, Let A and B be two solid spheres such that the surface area of B is 300% higher than the surface area of A....
Hello CEs, New here. Long time lurker. Our project title is to "reducing LPG consumption used for powering the baking oven in the paint shop of an automobile" Any guys...