A doubt in automobile sector and specially about gear system

My doubt is related to KICK START bikes:
Why do some bikes gets started though they are not in neutral (Eg. Yamaha) and why do some bikes should be brought to neutral (Eg. Hero or Honda) to have a kick start. What are the mechanisms/systems used which bring the difference ? Please explain it elaborately 😀

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I will tag the experts to get best answer.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    @conquerer
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    I had the same question, for a long time.

i dont think bikes like yamaha are actually getting "kick-started" in any gear, but they must be getting started by the electric start (using the starter motor).

Am i right at this point #-Link-Snipped-# ?

i have a hero honda, and it does not have a starter motor. it does not get kick started at any gear. and when the clutch lever, is pressed while kicking, then the kicker goes through a free play, and does not have any effect.

this shows that the kicker is connected to the engine, through the transmission elements.
  • lal
    lal
    Wondered this for long too!
    I have a Suzuki GS150R and I can start my engine with kickstart or electric start in any gear with clutch dis-engaged.

This is what I used to think: if the kick lever's power is transferred to the engine through the clucth, you need to be in neutral and clutch has to be engaged. But if the kickstarter bypasses the clutch, we can transfer power to engine even if the clutch is disengaged.

I did a quick search after reading this query and it seems like what I said above is the basic of clucth being engaged or disengaged while kick starting.

You may try this link- #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Rajkiran Sangoju
    Rajkiran Sangoju
    zaveri
    I had the same question, for a long time.

i dont think bikes like yamaha are actually getting "kick-started" in any gear, but they must be getting started by the electric start (using the starter motor).

Am i right at this point #-Link-Snipped-# ?

i have a hero honda, and it does not have a starter motor. it does not get kick started at any gear. and when the clutch lever, is pressed while kicking, then the kicker goes through a free play, and does not have any effect.

this shows that the kicker is connected to the engine, through the transmission elements.
    yes they do. yamaha crux does get kick started that's the reason i have given that as example
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    sangoju
    yes they do. yamaha crux does get kick started that's the reason i have given that as example

Sometime back i rode a honda twister, and i saw that it got electric-started at any gear.

but the explanation for this was quite obvious to me: whenever the electric start was done, you have to pull in the clutch lever, and then press the start switch, only then the electric circuit of the starter motor gets completed.

And while you are pulling in the clutch lever, the transmission gets disconnected from the engine. so the latter has no mechanical load on it, and gets cranked easily.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    sangoju
    If yamaha crux gets kick started in any gear, then its kicker must be directly connected to the engine, unlike hero honda
  • lal
    lal
    In most modern motor cycles, I guess the kick starter by passes the clutch assembly to directly couple with the engine.

but the explanation for this was quite obvious to me: whenever the electric start was done, you have to pull in the clutch lever, and then press the start switch, only then the electric circuit of the starter motor gets completed.
    I would rather say, that switch at the clutch lever is to avoid accidents. If there was no switch there and the vehicle could be started in any gear, then the starter motor could make the vehicle move and get things out of control if it was in gear!
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    From my point of view,
    When the kicker was kicked , the gear attached to it cranks the engine and spark pulg ignites the fuel and the reciprocating movement started by kicker was continued by the power produced by the combustion of fuel.
    When kicker is kicked , the cranking motion of piston which in turn tends to move the vehicle when clutch is engaged.When clutch is not engaged, power will not be transmitted .So it is better to hold clutch and neutral it.When you are in any gear you can start it by clutching.But after unclutching it may damage the gears and bike get a jerky motion.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    lal
    I would rather say, that switch at the clutch lever is to avoid accidents. If there was no switch there and the vehicle could be started in any gear, then the starter motor could make the vehicle move and get things out of control if it was in gear!

actually the switch at the clutch lever, is present for a different purpose altogether.

the starter motor circuit consists of two switches in series, one is the start switch, and the other the switch integrated with the clutch lever.

the circuit will get completed only when both switches, are closed. such a circuit has been designed for safety purpose.

this is to prevent the starter motor to be brought to life accidently by the driver when the vehicle is in motion.

now when the vehicle is moving and if the driver mistakes the start switch for the horn switch, then the motor will not work unless the clutch lever is also pressed.
  • Rajkiran Sangoju
    Rajkiran Sangoju
    lal
    In most modern motor cycles, I guess the kick starter by passes the clutch assembly to directly couple with the engine.

what do you mean by switch here is it the ignition switch or anyother
  • lal
    lal
    sangoju
    what do you mean by switch here is it the ignition switch or anyother
    In some vehicles, to activate the electric ignition, you need to press the clutch lever. There is a switch which gets activated only when you press the lever and thus complete the ignition circuit.
  • priyesh_kolte
    priyesh_kolte
    I think the difference is due to part called D-switch(I not sure about exact name of part). Because of this in manual transmission systems we can't start the engine in any gear but have to neutral it. If it is not there we can kick start bike in any gear.
    While automatic transmissions we won't need any kind of manual clutching as the engagement of clutch plate to transmission is done by fluid flywheel which works on centrifugal force.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Everyone knows that one person in office or at the university who gets restless when the quick smoke break is denied. However hard they try, they just can't quit smoking....
Have you every seen Pics of Jaguar D-Type or E-Type? After the success of predecessor Jaguar is all set to launch Jaguar F-Type and probably a Indian launch in coming...
I want an impartial review of ISB Hyderabad. If you have any idea, kindly share with me. What type of institute is it? I have heard it is not approved...
My computer is having a strange problem. It has Windows 7 64 bit, and everything was working fine till yesterday. I have two accounts : one Admin account and other...
sir,i am studying final B.E in EEE department....i am very willing to do the project of getting electricity from buses..please instruct me sir