A Boy and His Atom - The IBM Movie Makes Atoms Act

A Boy and His Atom has entered the book of Guinness World Records for being the world's 'smallest movie', made with atoms. The movie features thousands of atoms that 'act' in sync to produce 250 frames of non-stop action. The protagonist of the movie, Atom befriends a single atom and then goes on a playful journey; dancing, bouncing & catching the atom. The background score is a playful music track that keeps you glued to the screens for whole 1.34 minutes, from beginning to end. Watch the movie below -

Adreas Heinrich, principle Investigator at IBM research says that capturing, positioning and shaping the atoms to create a short movie is a very novel concept. Making this movie involved lot of complicated engineering. The team of engineers used IBM-invented scanning tunneling microscope, which was the first machine that allowed researchers to visualize the world of atoms. It weighs 2 tons and operates at -268 degrees Celsius. The microscope is capable of magnifying atoms over 100 million times. Positioning the atoms required a very precise control over temperature, pressure and vibrations.​
slide

The movie creators recorded about 242 single frames and then turned it into a movie. IBM researchers have been working on innovative data storage mechanisms and are aiming to store data at atomic level. The team that worked on the movie says that they recently created world's smallest magnetic bit. They're discovered that it will take about 1 million atoms to store a bit of data. If the technology advances to a level that it can be commercialized, we'd be able to store all the movies ever made in the world on a chip the size of a fingernail.
We'd leave you with a video of behind the scenes of how the world's smallest movie. It's damn interesting. Check it out -​
Source: #-Link-Snipped-#​

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Amazing. whole new level (Lowest) of data storage, hearing the sound of moving singular molecules... just great.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    IBM does 'THINK' out of the box. Here is an incredible movie of a boy playing with a ball. Except that each dot is just an Atom. Cannot get any smaller.

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    A.V.Ramani
    IBM does 'THINK' out of the box. Here is an incredible movie of a boy playing with a ball. Except that each dot is just an Atom. Cannot get any smaller.

#-Link-Snipped-#
    Merged with our earlier thread.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Not again. Can't teach an old dog new tricks.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    A.V.Ramani
    Not again. Can't teach an old dog new tricks.
    Nothing to worry about. Not a big deal for mods to merge threads. 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Germans take the roads seriously - and have developed a new high-speed laser scanning technology to survey the roads for evenness & overall quality. Research engineers at Fraunhofer Institute For...
Have any one used new QTP version 11.5 that is also named as UFT 11.5? Sometime back, HP released the long awaited new version of QTP which is now called...
is there any indian standard or code for lock out tag out procedures? there is a mention in the indian electricity rules and also somewhere in the factories act but...
Ok,so finally I have started learning java..and I have some newbie doubts which can annoy the answerer(they can be a lil dumb)..Please help me out CEans!😀 1.Can we not define...
Hello everyone.. My name is Himanshu Juneja and i am new in this forum. I want to share my knowledge to everyone and also get some knowledge from you guys....