A battery question

I've got this wall mounted air-conditioner remote control which takes one 6v 105mAh (2LR44 type) battery. Damned remote consumes the battery in about two months (sometimes less than 2 months) !! I've been thinking of hooking it up with an AC to DC adopter. I know that it should be 6v but, don't know what should be the Ampere rating though.

So, if I'm using a battery which has a rating of 105mAh, what Ampere rating should the AC to DC adopter have ?

Thanks,

Replies

• reachrkata
    reachrkata
    Doesn't matter !! There is no relationship between the mAh rating of the battery vs the current rating of the adapter. The mAh rating of a battery just indicates its life. Higher the rating longer its life.

What you actually need is - how much current your remote usually consumes, when you use it. This can be easily found out. Just connect an ammeter between your battery and remote and use it. Try to find the worst case current that it consumes.
    Then design / use an AC-DC adapter that can supply upto 1.5 times that current.

-Karthik
  • mikkevin
    mikkevin
    Thanks for the reply.

I ain't got an ammeter/multimeter to measure the current which, is the reason why I'm asking this question here ! I've decided to buy an AC adopter with a rating of 6v @ 300mA. Do you think it would be safe to use with the sensitive electronics the remote has ?
  • reachrkata
    reachrkata
    300mA should be OK. In fact I feel it is an overkill, but nevertheless its fine.

In any case there is no danger of any damage. Even if you use a 2A/10A/100A source, the remote control circuit would still just consume what it wants 😀. So there is no cause for concern with regard to damages.

-Karthik
  • mikkevin
    mikkevin
    Thanks very much Karthik, for your help.

I just wanted to be sure that, connecting the remote to an AC adopter was not gonna harm the electronics in any way. Apparently, the manual explicitly mentions use of 2Lr44 battery with a rating of 105mAh @6v and warns about the use of a battery with a rating of over 105mAH !! Guess, it is a false warning !!

Thanks again.
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    Very informative reachrkata, thank you!
  • barakobama
    barakobama
    Apparently, the manual explicitly mentions use of 2Lr44 battery with a rating of 105mAh @6v and warns about the use of a battery with a rating of over 105mAH !! Guess, it is afalse warning
  • mikkevin
    mikkevin
    barakobama, what are you trying to say ?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

There we go and sit with Forbes, Harward Blogs, New Scientist et al. . Well, what do I say, just look here: Interviews and Publications about Stephen Wolfram: Some Verbatim...
Folks, Lot of our members have started receiving joining dates from the companies that hired them. I'm thinking it would be great to know fellow CEans who'll be joining the...
I use blogger but I find some shortcomings in it. What do you prefer, WORDPRESS or BLOGGER?
hey there guys can someone please help me out. I am using the ccs ide and compiler to carry out a project. As part of the project i need to...
Hi friends. After a long time i once again came back to Ceens. I have a course DBMS in my semester. They suggeste us to learn oracle. Can you help...