90' turn in pcb trace? is it harmfull

๐Ÿ˜•Why 90 degree turn traces produce cross talk or noise in pcb?

Replies

• KINETIC_JOULES
    KINETIC_JOULES
    Umm. . . can you please clarify your question?
  • reachrkata
    reachrkata
    Yes it is harmful depending on what signal it carries. If it a DC signal no harm. If a HF signal, then the abrupt turn of the trace creates an antenna from which the HF signal radiates.
  • umashankar.s
    umashankar.s
    Thanks..

Do you have any waveforms or simulation results if any to justify answer
    or else if snapshots thats enough
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    KENETIC_JOULES
    Umm. . . can you please clarify your question?
    Traces are those copper (or other conductors) tracks you find on Printed Circuit Boards. umashankar's question was basically asking why the copper tracks at are 90[sup]o[/sup] (right angled) produces "cross talk" and "noise" in PCBs.

Do you have any waveforms or simulation results if any to justify answer or else if snapshots thats enough
    I believe you can try finding those in IEEE journal papers ๐Ÿ˜€
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • just2rock
    just2rock
    ash
    I believe you can try finding those in IEEE journal papers ๐Ÿ˜€
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    we in CE is here to support with technical knowhows we have and help query generators get his solutions here in CE only,not to bypass it to some journals,which in return shall prove our weakness Ash:!:
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    just2rock
    we in CE is here to support with technical knowhows we have and help query generators get his solutions here in CE only,not to bypass it to some journals,which in return shall prove our weakness Ash:!:
    Haha, I understand your point. However, the reason I gave the IEEE journals was because he requested for waveforms or simulation results regarding the effect of a 90 degree trace with HF signals. Those journals are not limited to industry professionals and PhD engineers; they are good resources even for students.

I personally dont have the software capable of simulating the effects on traces, but those who could would have posted their results in those journals ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    If you havent searched yet, here's one of the journals you can refer to:
    "Right angle corners on printed circuit board traces, time and frequency domain analysis"
    Montrose, M.I.
    IEEE Xplore Login

However, you will not be able to access the full content without full subscription (not only just a IEEE membership, unfortunately). Good news is, you can find the document for free from the actual source:

#-Link-Snipped-#

Hope that helps!
  • KINETIC_JOULES
    KINETIC_JOULES
    ash
    Traces are those copper (or other conductors) tracks you find on Printed Circuit Boards. umashankar's question was basically asking why the copper tracks at are 90[sup]o[/sup] (right angled) produces "cross talk" and "noise" in PCBs.
    Thanks! I'm still relatively new to all of this.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Why we need guard traces for critical signals like video or audio analog signals.... is it really plays good role in eliminating interference... or any other remedy is there?๐Ÿ˜
Hi all, I am Bobby, software engineer from India.I am currently in the software development field.Currently working on a product which uses Software As A Service technology.Everything going fine for...
Hello CEans, my name is Prakash Athani. I am from India. I am a MCA guaduate and I am in Software Engineering discipline.I joined this community just today. So a...
Hello CEans. Can anybody please help me know what is the problem with multiple inheritance. Why Java does't support it?
hey guys... i know this is a very common problem and has been posted earlier also... but nobody seems to have figured out a solution... i am making a program...