7 Segment Display Help

Hi all,

I am designing a four digit 7 segment display just using IC 74LS90 decade counter and 74LS47 BCD to 7 segment driver. My question is how to link the 74LS90 decade counter together so that the four 7 segment display will show me the result?

Replies

• shahrul
    shahrul
    I never use this IC, why you not use microcontroller?
  • cbaber
    cbaber
    Datasheets are your best friend. Here you go:

#-Link-Snipped-#
    74LS90 pdf, 74LS90 Description, 74LS90 Datasheet, 74LS90 view ::: ALLDATASHEET :::

You should be able to just hook up the outputs from the counter to the inputs of the BCD to 7-segment. Then the outputs from the display driver to the 7-segment display. This is going to be hard without microprocessor control though. I assume you want to do some sort of stopwatch or clock. I did a stopwatch with 4 7-segment leds using a microprocessor and basically it was interrupt driven. A timer interrupt controlled my count, while another interrupt cycled through each 7-segment led, giving the sense that all 4 were on at one time. I created an array of numbers for the digits on the display. Also had button control for stop, start, and reset.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    shahrul
    I never use this IC, why you not use microcontroller?
    It is a very simple design and the output of that IC is direct Binary compatible i think that's why there is no need of controller
  • cbaber
    cbaber
    godfather
    It is a very simple design and the output of that IC is direct Binary compatible i think that's why there is no need of controller
    Yes but he is wanting to use 4 of the 7-seg. leds. All the IC will do is count up, and if you hook it up without a controller it will just display 0-9 over and over on all 4 digits. You will need seperate counter IC's for each digit, and each IC will need a different clock to get the stopwatch effect. In my opinion just use a microcontroller, cut out the counter IC's, and use software to control it all.
  • jivv
    jivv
    Hi syee10,

I checked the 74LS90 datasheet and I don't see any Ripple-Carry pin for this chip, so you are going to have to use MR1 and MR2 (pins 2 and 3) to reset the counter when Q0Q1Q2Q3 = 0 1 0 1. At the same time you are going to use that combination as clock for the next counter, that way when the first counter hits 10, the display is going to be re-set to 0 and the next counter will increase the count.

The connection to the BCD to 7 segment decoder is straight forward. You don't need a microprocessor (or microcontroller), you only need a clock (for the first counter) and a 7408 (quad 2-input and) and you'll be all set.

I hope that helps

Cheers

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Actually i have a silly doubt, As we know our intel microprocessor have 5 flags and 1-bit space is alloted for each flag. Flag register we are going to use...
CEans, I downloaded the latest 10.10 release of uBuntu and had a hard time installing it. The installer got stuck at about 80% and just showed "Ready when you are..."...
Q: When does a person decide to become an engineer? A: When he/she realizes he/she doesn't have the charisma to be an undertaker. Q: How can you tell an extroverted...
Choosing between buying flowers for your wife and upgrading your RAM is a problem. You take a cruise so you can go on a personal tour of the engine room....
Microsoft has finally revealed the much awaited Windows Phone 7 today. When you first get the phone, the stuff that’s more obvious makes you smile,” says Andy Lees, Microsoft’s Mobile...