7.7 quake strikes off Indonesia's Sumatra island

A magnitude 7.7 earthquake shook Indonesia's northwest island of Sumatra early Wednesday, triggering a small tsunami, snapping power lines and sending panicked residents rushing for higher ground.
There were scattered reports of injuries, but only minor damage in most areas.
The quake struck at 5:15 a.m. (2215 GMT) and was centered undersea 125 miles (205 kilometers) northwest of the coastal town of Sibolga in Sumatra at a depth of 19 miles (31 kilometers), the U.S. Geological Survey said. It had earlier said the quake measured 7.8.
Indonesia's Meteorology and Geophysics Agency and the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Honolulu issued tsunami warnings following the quake, but lifted them two hours later.
The meteorology agency said a minor tsunami that at its largest was about 16 inches (40 centimeters) high hit Banyak island, Nias island and Sibolga.
Safnil, the head of a fishing village on Banyak, said the wave inundated homes along the beach and damaged several boats but caused no casualties. No tsunami damage was reported elsewhere.
A hospital on Simeulue island off the coast of Sumatra admitted 17 people for treatment of injuries sustained in the quake, including four in critical condition, said Capt. Ajas Siagian, a deputy police chief for the area.
Abdul Karim, a government spokesman in Simeulue, said dozens of houses collapsed or were damaged in Teupah Selatan village. He said no larger buildings were reported damaged, but electricity had been knocked out on the island.
"We are still collecting reports of damages and injuries ... but the situation has returned to normal and people are going back home," he said.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

is there any way to get dos prompt over login screen ? like when my system boots up it shows up the user name and password but instead of logging...
A study has shown switching fonts for printing can save on ink. Century Gothic and Times New Roman top the savings list. Century Gothic uses 30% less ink in printing...
😉 I have been doing a low power vlsi design of comparator(4 bit) for precomputation for my 8th sem project . I want to analyse the power at digital synthesis...
Flying.com, which has been online since 1994, to cater to the aviation industry, has been bought by the UsedAirplances, Inc. for whopping 1.1 million USD from an unknown seller. The...
i want to know the details of multiple display of motor cycle pls send i want to give the seminar on this topic