6 Reasons Smartphones wont replace our BRAINS

In an age where we can Google our way through most things, there are still some bastions of brainpower that win out over technology.
But where are we heading??
Ask a student today to rattle off the presidents, the periodic table or state capitals, and you'll get a blank stare or a "Sure, let me grab my phone"
The life categories where memory will always beat digital lookups:
  • The frequency factor - Memorization is required simply because the quantity of lookups would make your life grind into a great halt.
  • The social factor - We always should know the basic facts about our friends and family.
  • The cultural factor - We cant survive for long in society without some basic grounding in history.
  • The security factor - Some Programs autofill our log in information on the Web sites we visit, and even fill in our credit card information when we buy something online. But we still have to unlock those programs each day by entering a master password one we'll have to memorize.
  • The productivity factor - We need fluency in our own career facts to operate effectively
  • The lookup factor - Our gadgets may always be able to call up information on demand—but only if you know how and where to look for it
Source : The Scientific American..

Replies

• Cyborg 009
    Cyborg 009
    36.8×10^15 FLOPS is the estimated computational power required to simulate a human brain in real time....it will be achieved by some 2020/25 or much earlier...
  • Churchill2
    Churchill2
    Brain is actually a parallel processor.
    Markram’s Blue Brain project is the first attempt to reverse-engineer the mammalian brain.
    The quest is described in detail in Jeff Hawkins’ well-known book On Intelligence.
    But creating a super chip with billions of neurons and trillions of synapses of human brain? is it possible?
    Will Moore's law be applicable??
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Churchill2
    Brain is actually a parallel processor.
    Markram’s Blue Brain project is the first attempt to reverse-engineer the mammalian brain.
    The quest is described in detail in Jeff Hawkins’ well-known book On Intelligence.
    But creating a super chip with billions of neurons and trillions of synapses of human brain? is it possible?
    Will Moore's law be applicable??
    A recent feed in the CE forum showed that todays technology in which japan supercomputer achieved only 1% of brain power.They simulated the brain process but they coudnt even come closer to human power.It may take more years to simulate same brain power.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Try to search for " 1% " in search forums option to find the thread.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Churchill2
    In an age where we can Google our way through most things, there are still some bastions of brainpower that win out over technology.
    But where are we heading??
    Ask a student today to rattle off the presidents, the periodic table or state capitals, and you'll get a blank stare or a "Sure, let me grab my phone"
    The life categories where memory will always beat digital lookups:
    • The frequency factor - Memorization is required simply because the quantity of lookups would make your life grind into a great halt.
    That is common nowadays. You know somethings and you dont know others. what you dont know you will have to look it up and then you dont need to search it again.
    • The social factor - We always should know the basic facts about our friends and family.
    Depends on relationships. Close friends and relatives, you always know about them. Rest aquantainces can be added contact notes as in todays smartphones.
    • The cultural factor - We cant survive for long in society without some basic grounding in history.
    Smartphones have apps for everything. Not only morality and ethics lectures but also information.
    • The security factor - Some Programs autofill our log in information on the Web sites we visit, and even fill in our credit card information when we buy something online. But we still have to unlockthose programs each day by entering a master password one we'll have to memorize.

• Welcome to Biometrics. New phones are expected to have some sort of biometric sensors to identify owner and authorize. In my own example, my laptop has a fingerprint sensor, so i use it to unlock my laptop. And frankly speaking I dont remember its password.

[*]The productivity factor - We need fluency in our own career facts to operate effectively
    Smartphones already give you complete support in making professional decisions and knowledge along with a number of tools.
    • The lookup factor - Our gadgets may always be able to call up information on demand—but only if you know how and where to look for it
    Source : The Scientific American..
    Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is done for same purpose. If you don't know where to look, it will always try its best to give accurate answers. And if you know where to look, then it is not searching, it is browsing.

All in all, Smartphones are taking up maximum efforts and support to support human tasks. They are actually replacing use of brains but yes, they will not make man a zombie. Man cannot be replaced by gadgets.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Apple's next iPhone, the iPhone 5S will have a special home button. According to reports, the convex sapphire home button will also act as a 'fingerprint' scanner - so that...
Sony Corporation has launched a red-hot edition of its VAIO® Duo, Pro and Fit models in a special series called the Sony VAIO Red edition. Calling the new series a...
HTC Corporation is all geared up to sizzle the smartphone market in India with the launch of HTC One Dual SIM phone. Around four months back, we told you about...
many of you might be knowing or read of error detection/correction methods and might have come across the term - Hamming at least once . below is a speech delivered...
Gujarat University pioneered the concept of having bouncers in colleges - and it's cascaded to other Universities in the state. Bouncers - the big guys who 'kick off' the troublemakers...