5G Network Rollout In South Korea In 2017 - Download 800 Mb In A Second

While the rest of us still wait to upgrade our hardware to support 4G, South Koreans will have a strong reason to laugh at the world by 2017. The country is planning to roll out 5G networks all over South Korea in the next 3 years and complete the rollout by 2020. In terms of speed, 5G blows minds! The wireless network will offer fiber-line like download speeds on your gadgets - allowing to download an 800 Mb file in just a second. Now compare that with your old-school 4G network that takes about 40 odd seconds to do that.

5G โ€‹

South Korea has been ahead of the world in terms of mobile communications. The country has operational 4G since 2010 and while the rest of the world is still to adopt it as a norm; South Korea is talking about upgrading their networks to the next generation. The government is already serious about making it all possible and has committed $1.5 billion to the rollout project. A number of local telecom companies including SK Telecom and Korea Telecom have shown keen interest in the 5G rollout and it's expected that the hardware makers like LG and Samsung will join in. 5G Makes 4G LTE Look Boring With 1 Gbps Download Speeds has already demonstrated that 1 Gbps download speeds are possible with 5G networks.

5G networks would open a plethora of opportunities to South Koreans, allowing smooth streaming of 4K and even 8K videos over the network. It looks like South Korea might be the first country in the world to get a commercial 5G network; but other countries aren't far behind.

In the mean time, do let us know how your Internet connection speed fairs.

Replies

• lal
    lal
    And another fact is, India is thirty three times bigger than South Korea.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    lal
    And another fact is, India is thirty three times bigger than South Korea.
    The towers are already there - all you need to do is fit the 5G equipment on it ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • lal
    lal
    If South Korea has 1000 towers, India has 33000 ๐Ÿ˜ (Not the accurate math)

When South Korea is developed and has a high income economy, India still struggles to feed the hunger of many.

If 70 out of 100 use a smartphone in South Korea, in India it is 6 out of 100.

Having 5G is awesome! I think there are a lot more awesome things to do before 5G rolls out in India. Me, I can wait to stream a 4K video on my phone on the go ๐Ÿ˜› Who knows, may be India will launch a low cost alternative to 5G to work with existing hardware constraints ๐Ÿ˜
  • Chinmay Joshi
    Chinmay Joshi
    Very well said lal sir.. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I was only joking. I know the rollout will require upgrading the infrastructure and that's going to be heavy on budgets. I think with the advancements in the data transmission rates over existing fibre networks (they achieved 1.4 Tbps already), some of that cost will definitely be saved.

But I'm positive that we'll have 5G in some of our cities by 2020.
  • Pradip007
    Pradip007
    as per indian internet users rapidly increasing 5G must rollout in India.india
  • Netradeep Dhonde
    Netradeep Dhonde
    But we don't even have 4G networks available in India.Only Kolkata, Bangalore, Pune and Chandigarh region have 4g connections.Delhi n some other cities will be getting 4G by this year.It would take much for the expansion of 4G over India.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The network will be rolled out where the customers are! Heck there are areas where you still don't get 2G networks. 2014 & 2015 will see 4G networks being rolled out in Metros & Tier I & II cities at least.
  • Shrikant Bedekar
    Shrikant Bedekar
    Wow 5G already, seriously!!!. I have mixed emotions when I think about South Korea and our nation. If it happens in India it will be a miracle and as if it was not enough to confuse you the minimum recharge will burn a hole in your pocket...๐Ÿ˜จ๐Ÿ‘
  • Shrikant Bedekar
    Shrikant Bedekar
    No wonder when Subramaniam Swamy says that when he asked our Prime minister regarding 2G he said " Sonia G and Rahul G ".๐Ÿ˜ Cheers !!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • prahu mac
    prahu mac
    i think it's gonna take a heck lot of time for the 5g roll out in india!!!!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

French company Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) and British Telecom have demonstrated brain-exploding, time-stopping fiber broadband speed: 1.4 Tbps (~1433 Gbps) over existing fiber network. The company also claims...
Valve, the company behind Steam will be making all of their games (past,present,future) available for free for Debian developers. Collabora & Valve has been working on SteamOS which is Debian-based...
We have heard lot of shit about X & Wayland. most of the news revolving around community is rumour/lies. Here's the article to clear out the air : https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=x_wayland_situation&num=1 Finally,...
Hi All, This is the small entry level project in android to control a single LED via Bluetooth with PWM control. (MSP430 Launchpad and HC-05/Linvor Bluetooth Module is used here.we...
Hi, For second round seat allocation and their discussion... join here.