5+ Years PHP Experience. How do I advance in my career?

I have been working in PHP mainly magento for last 5+ years. I want to move futher in career. what should i do? what new skill i can learn? i want some relieving job now, can move to management? can i become technical consultant? what is your suggestion?

Replies

• Manik Bhardwaj
    Manik Bhardwaj
    I have been working in PHP mainly magento for last 5+ years. I want to move futher in career. what should i do? what new skill i can learn? i want some relieving job now, can move to management? can i become technical consultant? what is your suggestion?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - You haven't told us what your career aspirations are. What is it that you want to achieve in your career so that we could offer suggestions to you. You are skilled in PHP and you should upgrade your skills by learning new frameworks and applications; expanding beyond Magento. You might want to search for a new role - either in management or in the technical domain at higher pay. It all boils down to your career aspirations.

'Relieving Job' is something that can't be guaranteed. You'll probably want to join a company that's got large number of people and the average project size is about 100+ people. But again; work pressures will always be there.

I'm not sure what you mean by technical consultant. Are you planning to freelance or assume the role of technical consultant in your current organisation?
  • Manik Bhardwaj
    Manik Bhardwaj
    Thanks for quick reply.
    I am looking myself at role in technical domain at higher pay. i just want some direction to what should i do beyond PHP, so that my skill set improves which ultimately helps me improving my Salary package and also position in organization.

I am assuming the role of technical consultant in current organisation or similar organisations.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    You've mentioned only PHP ask your skill. You will have to equip yourself with the latest in web development. You might want to get acquainted with more traditional Zend Framework or the modern Laravel. You might also want to learn AngularJS or NodeJS so that you improve your chances of finding a better job.
  • Manik Bhardwaj
    Manik Bhardwaj
    i am thinking of learning Python. is it good for me ?
  • Manik Bhardwaj
    Manik Bhardwaj
    One problem with PHP is that big organisation not working in PHP, they stick to JAVA, .NET etc.. thats why i am thinking to enhance my skills beyond PHP or shifted to new profile.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    What is your nature of job? Mostly front end or business logic of PHP!!
    If you have been working on front end you should be knowing various JS/UI frameworks like bootstrap, JQuery related libraries with CSS3. You can look for UI developer and consultant. These thigs are usable in large scale companies too, with browser based project.
    Either in Java or .Net or any other core development projects. They need UI professionals to design and maintain front end.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

IS IT POSSIBLE TO REGULATE THE DC MOTOR BY COUPLING WITH DC GENERATOR?
A mechanical engineering graduate form IIT Kharagpur and an AMP from Harvard Business School, Bhaskar Majumdar serves as the Managing Partner at Unicorn India Ventures fund. He has a rich...
A team of Swiss researchers have succeeded in teaching a drone how to spot and follow trails in forests. The quadcopter used by the team is equipped with two cameras...
A group of physicists from the Technical University of Munich has fabricated a Nano sized laser source, that is a thousand times thinner than human hair onto a silicon chip,...
A group of researchers from the Optical Networks Group at the University College of London has achieved an astounding digital data transfer rate of 1.125 Tb/s for. The unimaginable lightning...