5 differences between a macro and pre-processor?

5 differences between a macro and pre-processor?

Sure, why not?

Here are five key differences between a macro and a preprocessor:

1. Purpose and Functionality:

- Macros: Macros are a feature of the programming language that allows you to define reusable code snippets. They are expanded during the compilation process, replacing the macro calls with the corresponding code. Macros can perform simple text substitutions and do not have access to the language syntax.

- Preprocessor: A preprocessor is a tool that operates before the compilation phase. It processes directives starting with a "#" symbol and performs various tasks like file inclusion, conditional compilation, and macro expansion. It is a separate program that runs before the actual compilation and modifies the source code.

2. Scope:

- Macros: Macros are defined within the code and have a limited scope. They are typically local to the file or module in which they are defined. Macros can be used to generate code specific to a particular context.

- Preprocessor: The preprocessor operates globally on the entire source code. It can modify multiple files in a project using directives like #include, which allows the inclusion of external files.

3. Expansion Time:

- Macros: Macro expansion happens during the compilation process. Whenever a macro is called, the compiler replaces the macro call with the corresponding macro definition.

- Preprocessor: The preprocessor runs before the compilation phase. It processes the source code and performs various operations like macro expansion, conditional compilation, and file inclusion, producing an expanded source code file that is then passed to the compiler.

4. Capabilities:

- Macros: Macros are relatively simple and can perform basic text substitution. They lack some of the more advanced features of programming languages, such as control structures or variable scoping. Macros are often used for code generation and creating domain-specific languages.

- Preprocessor: The preprocessor is more versatile and can handle various tasks beyond simple text substitution. It supports conditional compilation using directives like #ifdef and #ifndef, allowing you to include or exclude certain parts of the code based on defined symbols. The preprocessor can also include external files with the #include directive.

5. Language Dependency:

- Macros: Macros are specific to the programming language in which they are defined. Each language may have its own syntax and rules for defining and expanding macros.

- Preprocessor: Preprocessors are language-specific tools. Different programming languages may have their own preprocessor implementations. For example, C and C++ use the C preprocessor (CPP), while other languages may have their own variants or alternative mechanisms for achieving similar functionality.

These are some of the key differences between macros and preprocessors. While macros are a feature within the programming language itself, the preprocessor is a separate tool that operates before the compilation phase, providing a broader range of capabilities.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    sheena rewari
    could you please tell me 5 difference between a macro and pre-processor??😀
    Post moved to a new thread in CS/IT/Networking engineering section.
  • sheena rewari
    sheena rewari
    sheena rewari
    could you please tell me 5 difference between a macro and pre-processor??😀
    Macros, which are special lines/fragments of code, differ from any other code written in the source files in the aspect that it's not passed to the compiler (either for the purpose of encoding into machine instructions, or some intermediate form instructions).

Preprocessors, statements that tell the programming language to perform such task as combining source program files prior to compilation.

• Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    As far as I know. Macro is formed using a preprocessor #define.

For ex: #define pi 3.14

This substitution is made in the pre-processing state itself where header files are included
  • varsha shaw
    varsha shaw

Difference between preprocessor and macro

• Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande

Preprocessor is the program that does the preprocessing like file inclusion,compilation, macro expansion. So that means lines that start with # are preprocessing directives. They are directives that tell the preprocessor to do something.

examples are - #include

or #if

macros are name for fragment of code. 

e.g #define buffer_size 100

Here whenever yuo use macro buffer_size it will get replaced by value 100

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

what was the actual reason for blackout in northern grid? plz give me proper answer. How it done?
It's been quite some time since NASA's Curiosity rover has landed on the moon. We've been patiently waiting for a full HD video of the Curiosity landing on the red...
I stumbled upon an interesting startup called DoloArts.com - an ecommerce startup based out of Tirupati. Doloarts sells photo-frames of the Indian Gods and Goddesses. The products listed on the...
Ok so I need suggestions on how to handle a set of data that has over 260,000 individual values in it. I don't need to do anything really fancy with...
Hi 😀 I'm confused about my syllabus. The subject name is Computer Programming and Utilization (subject code: 110003). I've "Programming in ANSI C, Forth Edition, E Balagurusamy, TMH" book. And...