CrazyEngineers
  • I just had a chance to visit the local Sony showroom and experience the 4K Bravia television. The display was 10x better than anything I have seen in the recent times - and wondering how long will it take for the 4K and 8K transmissions to be available. I'm also keen on knowing what are the existing limitations on transmissions (I think Japan is already planning for 8K transmission by 2020).
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • Sindhu Chowdary

MemberJan 20, 2014

After reading many articles and notes about 4k ,I think it will take many years for 4k to become a standard transmission.Because it will not only costs much but also complete changes should be made from the basics itself like architecture etc.Also another main limitation is we can see the difference between Hd and 4k only when the screen size is minimum of 60 inches.And for 4k transmission in regular TV , there are other problems like bandwidth etc.
    Also once view this link
    #-Link-Snipped-#

P.S. I think this is what you mean by limitations.
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorJan 20, 2014

@#-Link-Snipped-# - Are you sure that 4K is visible only when the screen size is 60"? Galaxy S5's getting a 2K display already and I think we already have 4K monitors.

@#-Link-Snipped-# - Where are you, fella?
    Cancel
  • Anand Tamariya

MemberJan 20, 2014

Kaustubh Katdare
    @#-Link-Snipped-# - Are you sure that 4K is visible only when the screen size is 60"? Galaxy S5's getting a 2K display already and I think we already have 4K monitors.

It's not about visibility - it's about apparent benefit. A higher resolution is only useful if you are going to zoom in; not when you are going to zoom out. Take an A4 size photograph and shrink it to stamp size - how much detail can you really perceive?
    Cancel
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorJan 20, 2014

I agree on the zooming in point. The difference, however is very visible when you're looking at a full HD and a UltraHD TV - the images are way sharper and more life-like.
    Cancel
  • Anand Tamariya

MemberJan 20, 2014

Kaustubh Katdare
    I agree on the zooming in point. The difference, however is very visible when you're looking at a full HD and a UltraHD TV - the images are way sharper and more life-like.
    Objectively, it's not. You can't really differentiate 4K content playing in FHD and 4K TV of the same size. But then psychology plays an important part in perception of reality. BTW if you do "see" that difference, you're seeing more than there "is".
    Cancel
  • Sindhu Chowdary

MemberJan 21, 2014

Kaustubh Katdare

By visibility, I meant that a human eye cannot tell the difference between 1080p and 4k unless he minimum screen is above 45".We already have 4k monitors.But for television broadcasting through 4k,it will take quite a while.
    Cancel
  • Sindhu Chowdary

MemberJan 21, 2014

Kaustubh Katdare
    When coming to visibility factor between full hd and ultra hd , the differences are undetectable.There is no doubt that there is difference between ful hd and ultra hd images , but they are detectable or visible only at a distance of 2 feet from the screen.If we move more than 7 feet or so,we find both of them as almost equal.

4k is no doubt the upcoming standard.But it will become one only when its prices fall to hd level I think so.
    Once check out this.

<a href="https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ultra-hd-vs-hd-tv-190000440.html" target="_blank" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer">Ultra HD vs. HD TV: Is Ultra worth the extra money?</a>
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register